Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low sugar tomato?

Posted by musaboru (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 20:04

This might sound strange of me looking for a low sugar tomato, but my mom is diabetic and I am looking to grow a tomato that she can enjoy. I know I'll definitely not consider anything with the word 'sweet' in the varietal name.

Would anyone know of a cherry tomato that is quite low in sugar content when ripe? Sour is good. I'm interested some black tomatoes too. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low sugar tomato?

Carbohydrate is the general word that includes various sugars and there are many different sugars. I don't know of any chart that specifically lists individual tomato varieties and their individual sugar contents, b'c again, there are many different sugars.

THe link below will give you an idea of how tomatoes stack up to other foods and about one cup of raw diced tomatoes is about the same as one raw carrot.

Your mother I'm sure has at one time or another been given information from her MD about what constitutes a diabetic diet or you can easily find that online if not, but I think most docs take diabetes very seriously and would have helped educate a patient in that regard.

And if you looked at any of the suggested food groups on that diet you'd also see lots of fruits and vegetables suggested, tomatoes being one of them.

There's a big difference with sugar content between carbohydrate content being what's called complex, which takes longer to break down into individual sugars, and non complex which would include fudge, orange juice, well I'm not going to list stuff here. But orange juice is a good example b/c if the glucose level drops too low, a problem I've never had, ahem, then orange juice is one of the main items sugggested to drink ASAP to get the glucose level up in a hurry.

Diabetics do best with foods that have complex carbohydrates.

I'm a diabetic.

And I don't worry one bit about eating fresh or canned tomatoes, or fresh salsa or whatever. Actually I eat lots of tomatoes. LOL

You can consult with your mom's MD b/c I don't want to be accused of giving medical advice to someone but I bet he or she would also advise you mom about the role of tomatoes in a well balanced diabetic diet.

So if it looks like I'm suggesting growing any darn tomato varieties you want to I guess that's what I'm saying.

And do take a look at the chart I linked to below which indicates total carbohydrate values for different foods and also indicates the amount of food, 1 cup, 2 tbs, whatever, that equates to that amount.

Carolyn, who cheats when it comes to her diet, but knows when b'c as with all diabetics, I would hope, has this glucose meter that tells all. ( smile)

Here is a link that might be useful: Carbohydrate Content of Foods

o

Good info from Carolyn. To put it simply, tomatoes of any kind including those with 'sweet' in the name, are not restricted in a diabetic diet. They play a big role in the standard approved diabetic diet. Just ask her doctor.

Technically, there is no such thing as a low-sugar tomato. All tomatoes are acidic. There are just some varieties that "taste" more sweet/less acidic. ;) Your Mom may prefer a more acidic taste in her tomatoes but that is just a matter of taste and is not related to her diabetes.

Dave

o

Best advice was posted by Carolyn. Test 2 hours after eating because everyone reacts differently. Not every tomato effects me the same way. Those that are dead ripe tend to have fully developed their sugar carbohydrates and do send my glucose up. I am type 2 so take that into consideration.

o

I'm a diabetic. What I would recommend your mom do is. When she has not eaten anything check her glucose level. Then eat a tomato. Wait 2 hrs and check it again. That way she will know how the tomato effects her glucose level. I can eat all the tomatoes I want with no problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here