Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small space tomatoes

Posted by Poodles123 Central Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 20:18

Hello everyone,

Due to a relocation, I am suddenly forced to garden in a very small space. I've always grown big indeterminate heirloom tomatoes like Black Krim and Kellogg's Breakfast (my two favorites), I'm looking for suggestions of high-yielding and tasty tomatoes for small spaces. The beds are raised but only have room for few tomatoes in order to have room for everything else I like to grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small space tomatoes

• Posted by janezee Sunset 5, 8b, Whidbe (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 21:47

I am confused.

If you already have your favorites, I don't understand why you won't just grow those? And did you let them just spread, or trellis them? Prune?

I'd need more information, is what I guess I'm trying to say here, to be able to say anything useful.
j

o

I know there are some indeterminate toms that do not grow as tall and strongly as some. I think Siux may be one of those and I am sure there are more, just cant remember at the moment. LInda

o

Plenty of good determinates to grow also.

o

• Posted by corin99 7b Triangle NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 15:16

I grew Early Wonder last year and was very happy with them. Plants stayed under 3' tall and, though said to be determinate, continued to produce into the fall. If you are interested in compact indeterminates, you might like Indian Stripe or Stupice, both are very good.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 13:37

Husky Cherry Red, sturdy indeterminate plants , 5' at most, great production and not shabby on taste either.

o

Heartland is supposed to be a small tomato plant and I am growing it this year for the first time.

o

Check into the new releases (within the past 2 years) from the Dwarf Tomato Project (see link below). So far, there are a total of 13 new releases from this project, and all are dwarf indeterminates. I'll be growing them for the first time this year, so I can't give first-hand experience with ptoduction, etc. However, from what I've read, taste is outstanding. Descriptions, availability, etc. can be found at Tatiana's tomato database. If you go to: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w/index.php?search=Dwarf+Tomato+Project&ns0=1&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search&fulltext=Search
the last 13 entries on page 1 of that search are the 13 new releases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Tomato Project

o

For anyone who's looking for dwarf plants, at Tatiana's
main page, halfway down the page, under "Tomato Database -- Most Popular Links," you can select the third choice "view tomatoes by categories," then under "Tomatoes by Growth Habit," choose "Dwarf Tomatoes," which will take you to this list of 93 dwarf varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here