Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Plants Healthy But Curling

Posted by john216 5 (tank21698@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 20:21

Hello All I'm A Beginner Here; I'm starting and indoor garden and planting and tomato and pepper plant okay here deal pepper plant looks healthy and tomato plants all are green and stems green, have good set true leaves; haven't seen any bugs; problem is their curling downwards ; now I tried raising lights up 6in anyone have idea what's going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Plants Healthy But Curling

Looks pretty normal to me in the pic. But tomato leaf curl is a common physical response of the plant to inconsistent soil moisture levels - usually too much followed by too little.

6" is too high for your lights if you are using fluorescents. 1-2" max. or they will get leggy.

Dave

o

I Think I have another issue az well found couple white spots on leafs not a lot might be from messed up watering is their anything I can do to fix this and yes I lowered my lights half that 3 inches ; haven't seen any bugs I brought magnifying glass

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:39

Honestly, spots on a leaf can be caused by many things, most of which pose no problem for the plant. Leaves are seldom perfect.

If you see no evidence of insect pests on the underside of the leaf then I wouldn't worry about it unless they become numerous. Indoor seedlings aren't really threatened by most of the common tomato disease since they aren't exposed to causes while inside.

It could be nothing more than that your plant appears to be in a clear cup and could have some minor rootlet damage. Roots don't like being exposed to light and heat. Leaves love it, roots hate it. :)

Of greater concern to me is that this plant won't be able to be transplanted out to the garden until the end of May in your zone. Most experienced gardeners in zone 5 won't have even started their plants for several more weeks. It is going to be huge by then so you will have to pot it up at least 2x more into larger containers and stake it and then transplant it very carefully to the garden or it won't survive the transplant shock.

The good news is that you have ample time to start over if needed.

Dave

o

@ Dave Thank you for Ur Input To let You Know The Tomato & Pepper Plants Are Staying Indoors Id Love to Have Outdoor Garden But No Room I Live In A Apartment I Have 5 Gallon Containers Will Be upgrading To 85watt CFL Bulbs

o

First time growing tomatoe plants myne are about 4 weeks old and a few a curling downwards.. Do these look healthy?

Thanks Jarryd

o

Another

o

The last one looks fine, just the genes.. The other ones all look overwatered. Are there multiple drain holes in the bottem? That mix looks 90% peat/compost 10% perlite? I would use at least 50%perlite, even better pine bark, or something bigger that will create pockets in the soil. They are already soak up lots of water, making it prone to overwatering.. You should let the top soil dry thoroughly, dry like almost to the plant wilting, but right before that. Make sure you water thoroughly, then let soil dry, etc. When you let the growing medium dry, the tiny particles shrink, creating air pockets that are key to plant growth. That's another reason I reccomend a coarser growing medium, it absorbs less water, holds more air, and is perfect for plant growth.

o

ok this is like just weird (one day their drooping) and next their fine - I Heard Some one say clear cups kinda bad so what I did was brought slightly larger cup and dropped other cup inside that one to hide roots doing so this way I didn't have to Re-transplant it again & Run Risk Of Shock P.s I Done That I Just didn't Take Photo

o

I have been growing my tomato plants from seed indoors under lights. They looked really great and were healthy. The weather started getting nice in Dallas, TX so I decided to put them outside in a cold frame I built. I got a cold and ended up leaving them outside for about 48 hours no-stop. I notice the leaves were starting to wilt so I immediately brought them back inside under the lights. I have a picture of them that I can send you. Could they have been too hot or too cold, or something else? Do have any ideas or tips? Do you think they'll survive?

o

"Posted by john216 5 (tank21698@yahoo.com) on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 9:09
ok this is like just weird (one day their drooping) and next their fine - I Heard Some one say clear cups kinda bad so what I did was brought slightly larger cup and dropped other cup inside that one to hide roots doing so this way I didn't have to Re-transplant it again & Run Risk Of Shock P.s I Done That I Just didn't Take Photo"

John, do you have more pictures? It's most likely overwatering. Plants wilt when they do not have enough water, but they also droop when they have too much water. In your case, the reason your plant is drooping, is peobably because overwatering. You water the plant when it does not need it(even though it might seem like the medium is dry, you could let the plants start to dry so bad to the point of wilting before you water, ideally right before that). So then the plant roots can not get adequate oxygen because you just waterlogged the soil, the plant starts to droop. The next day you notice the plant not drooping as much, the following day the plant is standing erect and doing good, why? Because the soil is drying out, creating air pockets that the plants love. The plant can finally get the oxygen it needs, instead of being waterlogged.. Ideally the soil should be like a wrung out sponges most of the times. You want to water thoroughly(of course the medium is goin to be a little wetter than a wrung out sponge), but then you let the soil dry(to the point right before the plants starts to wilt), then water thoroughly, let soil dry thoroughly, water again. It's crucial to let your growing medium dry out some.

o

@ Natures_Nature 5; I Feed Them Once Week Now; I Water Till I See Water Coming out bottom Just Barely; Humidity currently 28% Temp 77 lowest temp gets indoors is 60 ; Tomato Plants Are Burppee steak sandwich variety Indeterminate and I have 2 Banana Sweet Pepper plants Their All Not Going To Be Planted Outside I'm Doing Indoor Garden

o

picture no2

o

and picture no3 today

o

"Posted by john216 5 (tank21698@yahoo.com) on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 9:09
ok this is like just weird (one day their drooping) and next their fine - I Heard Some one say clear cups kinda bad so what I did was brought slightly larger cup and dropped other cup inside that one to hide roots doing so this way I didn't have to Re-transplant it again & Run Risk Of Shock P.s I Done That I Just didn't Take Photo"

John, do you have more pictures? It's most likely overwatering. Plants wilt when they do not have enough water, but they also droop when they have too much water. In your case, the reason your plant is drooping, is peobably because overwatering. You water the plant when it does not need it(even though it might seem like the medium is dry, you could let the plants start to dry so bad to the point of wilting before you water, ideally right before that). So then the plant roots can not get adequate oxygen because you just waterlogged the soil, the plant starts to droop. The next day you notice the plant not drooping as much, the following day the plant is standing erect and doing good, why? Because the soil is drying out, creating air pockets that the plants love. The plant can finally get the oxygen it needs, instead of being waterlogged.. Ideally the soil should be like a wrung out sponges most of the times. You want to water thoroughly(of course the medium is goin to be a little wetter than a wrung out sponge), but then you let the soil dry(to the point right before the plants starts to wilt), then water thoroughly, let soil dry thoroughly, water again. It's crucial to let your growing medium dry out some.

o

At what stage should you plant into a larger pot myne are starting to get pretty decent size and the roots are hitting the side of the of the cup I posted a photo earlier but they are a bit bigger now.
Thanks Jarryd

o

I was told by several ppl that final repotting would be at 12in height mines 7in tall now

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here