Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Which two? Suggestions please

tomatotomata
12 years ago

Very little room, so I can only have 3 or 4 plants. I'm in S. CA, near the coast, so we get a lot of fog and overcast days during May and June. Never really gets hot; usually in the low 70's until August when it gets a little hotter. What Would be the best use of my space?

Comments (12)

• Zinnia1
    12 years ago

Contact your local Extension office for what will grow best in your climate and soil conditions unique to your area. Extension offices are a wealth of information!

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Depends on what you want in a tomato? Color, size, amount of production, flavor, determinate or indeterminate, from seed or buying transplants, etc.? If buying transplants then any of the plants sold locally should work fine.

In your climate you can easily grow any of the 1000's of varieties available. Will you be using containers or in the ground?

Dave

• tomatotomata
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My priorities are primarily flavor and production. I suppose determinate would be easier, but I'm willing to work a little more for better flavor. I've heard a lot of support for Early Girls, and I like Brandywine just for the name. I just don't want to end up with blah tomatoes that taste like they came from the store.
    op

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Early Girl is not a very good tasting mater. Try Chapman its tasty and productive ,also Eva Purple ball, Indian Stripe or Black Seaman and for a great cherry everyone swears by Sungold.

• aloha10
    12 years ago

I also like Chapman like dickifickle above. But what people like doesn't mean a darn thing. What grows well in your area? Initially, stay away from the big box stores and check out the small nurseries that grow and sell their own plants. Ask around. Find out what other gardeners in the neighborhood are growing. Most state university systems have recommendations, also. This Garden Web of ours is a great resource but it covers a lot of territory and many answers might not be appropriate for you in your geographical circumstances. I used to sail on Buzzards Bay and adjoining waters here in MA. The most useful bit of advice one could find when trying to navigate all the little bays and harbors was "Local Knowledge". Better than the best charts. The same is true for gardening.
    I wish you well.
    Victor

• springlift34
    12 years ago

I was going to draw a long post out,but Victor beat me to the punch. Still though.....I,swinging out on a limb,waving at you before the laws of gravity send me down, I would go with a determinate bush variety..of your choice through investigation.

Take care,
    Travis...........I'm growing Floradade.

• janezee
    12 years ago

I have the same weather as you, only farther north. I love by the water, and get lots of fog. Even with that, the only tomato that produces early and often and tastes fabulous is SunSugar. SunGold is good, too, but has thicker skin and splits more for me. Very similar taste. The only thing is that it takes up a lot of space, but what do you care if you're picking daily from mid July through until frost? (Do you get frost?) When frost is predicted here, usually around Halloween, I pull the plant, hang it upside down, and harvest until they're gone or too hard to ripen. Usually around Christmas. YMMV. HTH,
    jane

• suncitylinda
    12 years ago

You might try Moskvitch. I grew it last year, during one of our coldest, wet Spring seasons and it was a real trooper with good taste as well. it gave out when it got really hot. I later read that Moskvitch favors cooler conditions. Linda

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I like Early Girl, dickifickle! First slicer to get ripe and way better than store bought! Plus they keep producing, at least for me.

Taste wise you can't beat most heirlooms, but with only 3 to 4 plants you probably want get a lot of toms.

• stacyp9
    12 years ago

Early girl is not good for flavor. Blah sums it up pretty well. The Brandywines are delicious but not great for production and they are not going to love your climate

I would go with Box Car Willie and I second Eva Purple Ball. I also have excellent results with Crnkovic Yugoslavian, even last year which was cold and wet.
    For a cherry you can't beat Sungold.

• yumtomatoes
    12 years ago

Brandywine Sudduth's strain and Cherokee Purple.

• acadia78
    12 years ago

It sounds like we live in the same area, I had great luck with Sweet 100 and SunGold last year as well as Brandywine, which I planted in late April. Unfortunately mine succumbed to pests and some kind of disease by August; I didn't keep up with my tomato plant defense strategy as much as I should have. :( This year I'm trying Lemon Boy, Green Zebra, Sweet 100, San Marzano, Brandywine, and an as yet to be determined hybrid.

According to some reading, Champion is supposed to be a great tomato for coastal SoCal, both in terms of taste and ease.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus