Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Clickable link.

You can probably find them cheaper at a local lumber yard plus not have to pay shipping. Plan on more than 1 per plant if growing indeterminate varieties.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Stakes

• LauraTaylor123
    11 years ago

I haven't used them, but would definitely give them a try. I like that they resist decay. Really important is that they come in different lengths although I suggest using the 72 inch. Tomato plants get very tall and require lots of support. I would put one in the ground about 3 inches out from the center stem at the time of planting. Then, tie the stem to the stake at about 1 1/2 foot intervals as the plant grows. You can use garden tape, twist ties, or the new garden clips that are reusable. Don't use anything that will cut into the tomato stem. Even with a great stake, you also need to cage your tomatoes to keep them healthy and from breaking.

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

Best ever tomato cages are the concrete reinforcement wire. You can buy it in 4 X 8 pieces which is a perfect cage. You just need to connect the sides (we use the pig staples but you can just tie them with wire) and you have a perfect cage that can be used year after year.

We have to put stakes inside to secure the cages against heavy winds, but that isn't always necessary.

• Creek-side
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have used cages for many years, and I really don't like them. I am going to all stakes, and I was just wondering if this was a credible supplier. I need about 130 of them.

This post was edited by Creek-side on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:59

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Store bought cages are only for looks only. home-made cages work great, either from concrete reinforcement wire or pig fence. They can be cut to any size desired or they can be used as a back supports, using thick cords to tie them to the supports. If made correctly they can be spread out or folded up for easy storage. Last year I used the branches I cut from my Confederate Rose Hibiscus and used thick cords as added supports.

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I definitely go for the home-made concrete reinforcement wire cages. They last for years, won't blow away if you put a couple of stakes of rebar inside each one and it will eliminate constantly tying them up.

I have been using the same ones since I made them over 10 years ago. I also use them for young trees to keep the deer away and for beans/cukes.

• helenh
    11 years ago

The oak stakes are not expensive but what is the shipping cost? I guess if you have them in the garden for the summer then pull them and store in a dry place, they would resist rot.

• k2marsh
    11 years ago

I use bamboo for stakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Tomato Stakes

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022