Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomatoes?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 21:12

Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually made a pomato (tomato grafted onto potato rootstock) plant before?

I'm going to have plenty of extra blue tomato and blue potato plants this year, so I'm thinking "What they heck, lets get grafting!"

Wondering how the productivity is, considering its one plant trying to store energy in both fruit above ground and tubers below ground at the same time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomatoes?

I've never grafted anything, but I've read that potato fruit (sometimes referred to as potato berries) are pretty rare, unless you're planting Yukon Gold.

So I'm not sure how many tomatoes you'd get. Maybe more on Yukon Gold rootstock? But then again, perhaps your blue potato variety also has a high fruiting rate. You won't know till you try, so go for it!

[In case people don't know, potato fruit are poisonous. And potatoes never come true from seed -- but that's how new varieties are developed.]

o

I assume you have read the current discussion about this over on the Vegetable Gardening forum?

Dave

o

Yup, I'm watching both of them.

Figured there would be people in each forum that didn't visit the other though, so I'd get better luck with two threads. One aimed at the tomato people, and one aimed at the potato people. =)

o

Could someone post the link to the Discussion going on in the Vegetable gardening forum? I cannot find it. Much thanks!
I really want to try to do this.

o

I know tha basics of that kind of grafting.
You have the two seedlings side by side.
Make small cuts (partial removal of stems. Then wrap them together until they kind of weld together.
Then cut off the top of one(potato) and the stem of the other one(Tomato). Now you have top of tomato and root of potato.
But it is easier to be said than done, I think.

Potato berry can produce seeds(like tomato seeds) If you plant them you will get potato plant.

o

Nevr tried the actually grafting, but the pomato was a standard advertisement in the Sunday supplements (newspapers) in the 60's and 70's. The one I remember that named the varieties used the Subarctic tomato grafted onto a Red Norland potato

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here