Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Tomato Seedling Progress & Pictures

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

If you're interested, follow the link below to see how my 3 week old seedlings are growing. That's 3 weeks from seed in dirt! =) They got their first dose of Dyna Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 today, which i'm nothing but excited about using this year!

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Comments (15)

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Looking good and healthy. Keep us posted on how the Dyna Gro Foliage Pro works for you.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! :)

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Steve - you're only using south-facing windows to propagate those? Talk about lucky! They look very good...

EG

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahaha...yea, really. It just happens that corner of our town home where we get the most sun is facing South. Great, eh? =) Thanks for the compliment. I hope they'll look even better soon since they now have a wee taste of some Foliage Pro 9-3-6. They are a tad leggy, but i'm not worried about that at all, as mine were the same way last year. They eventually grow out enough to make up for growing up so quickly in their first week or so.

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Steve - then you're quite lucky. It's not an option for me, so I must use lights. However, some early varieties will be propagated with the wintersown method, then placed into the coldframes....

EG

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

My window crop

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea, you can see the cold frame I bought on my blog. I won't put it together until late March when I will be putting a good bit of my plants outside in it. =)

Here's a link to what it looks like all put together: Cold Frame

- Steve

• refidnasb
    14 years ago

Wow, those seedlings look great for three weeks! Mine are 17 days along but don't have nearly the leaf spread outwards.

When I transfer my seedlings to cups(I use large red dixie cups), I usually bury the seedlings pretty deep. Maybe 3/4 of the stem is buried. Any thoughts on this versus the link with the photo that the original poster used?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

refidnasb: I usually try to bury mine about the same. About the only downfall i've found so far with starting my seeds in the mini greenhouses is that they get leggy very quick (like they can grow 2 inches in a day kinda quick). Then, I only have so much time between work & the two young kids to spend on my gardening. So, sometimes, even when burying them that much, there's still an inch or so above the soil. This always seems to even out with growth sideways as time goes by though. They are well on their way to doing so now. The stems are getting thicker, they are ot growing fast at all upwards anymore, but are growing out nicely & their roots are reaching the sides & bottom of the cups quite nicely also! =)

- Steve

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Steve - that's a nice looking coldframe( one that my wife wouldn't even mind on the property ), and i'm sure it will work very good! Mine are constructed with recycled materials, and of course the wife thinks they are an eyesore. Sheesh....they're in the back yard, and I think they look great....

EG

• bigdaddyj
    14 years ago

This looks like truly a labor of love! Nice! You document so well. I too don't use any lights and take advantage of a big bay window that faces due south but also captures some east and west so plenty of sun. A little fan helps too. Nowadays I am WSing a lot of my stuff but I still do some inside stuff. I already started basil and peppers. Have fun!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. =) They are getting a bit darker green & looking healthier already after the dosage of Foliage Pro 9-3-6 this past weekend!

bigdaddy: Yea, I have the ceiling fan in that room on medium...lol...It seems to have made them tougher already.

engineer: Thanks...you'd think she'd just be happy that you are growing fresh veggies for y'all! lol.

- Steve

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Steve - Agreed. You'd think she wouldn't mind me staying in the backyard all the time, but *no*. I'll start at least 300 seeds this coming weekend, then let the automated propagation system I built take over from there. I can't wait!

EG

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahaha...Engineer: You only get gardening time after you do all your chores, mister! ;-) Automated propagation system, eh? I'd be interested to see/hear a bit more about that.

- Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dudes...Al is the man...lol...The Foliage Pro looks to have already made a difference! =) Pics I took today at lunch of my tomatoes started from seed in dirt on January 23rd...

Rutgers:

Persimmon:

Better Boy:

Wisconsin 55:

- Steve