Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Tomato Plant Food?

Posted by freewomyn (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 21:41

I am curious what fertilizer or plant food is best for tomatoes. I've heard some good things about fish emulsion, but I'm a vegetarian so I'm kind of skeptical about that. Is there a better organic alternative that a more skilled gardener can recommend? This is my first year starting tomatoes from seed and I want to give them the best I can.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Tomato Plant Food?

You can use fish to feed your plants; the fruit you eat won't be non-vegetarian in any way. Only the nutrients from the fish are taken into the plant.

o

There are a number of great organic fertilizers on the market. Espoma is often recommended here and is available at espoma.com.

Worm's Way also offers organic products as does Gardens Alive, and Neptune's Harvest. Or you can mix your own using various meal products available from your local feed or farm store. None of these products are going to make your vegetables any less vegetarian. As already mentioned, they only provide nutrients to the plants but they don't alter its genetics.

ATTRA provides a list of approved organic nutrients and a list of sources.

You can read all about organic fertilizers and how they work at the link below. You might also want to review the many discussions on this topic over on the Organic Gardening forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: VA Tech Co-op Ext. - Organic Fertilizers

o

I don't think there's any one best fertilizer so long as it doesn't provide too much nitrogen. I prefer composted chicken manure and time-released fertilizer like Dynamite Plant Food with micronutrients. These are a bit more expensive than other alternatives, but if you have a relatively small space, it's not prohibitive.

o

freewomyn, This might be just what your looking for. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Mix

o

Thanks for all the follow ups and the links everybody.

Miesenbacher, I have used the Vegan Mix you linked to and it seems to be good for other veggies. Just didn't know if it would be good for tomatoes.

Digdirt, thanks for your specific ideas, too. I'll look into those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here