Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drhuey

A genuine Aussie family tomato

drhuey
17 years ago

This summer I'm growing a mix of 20 hybrid and Heirloom American tomatoes. It's been my most productive season to date (fourth year) thanks to the terrific advice and tips gleaned from this forum over the years. I have one 'ring-in' in the plot. This is the story.

In the winter I was given a few seeds of a tomato which is very popular among home gardeners in the Geelong district in Victoria. During WW11 an Italian prisoner of war was assigned to a farmer in the Geelong district to provide labor. He proved such a good worker that the farmer made contact with his 'employee' in Italy and sponsored his return to Australia as a migrant. He arrived in the early '50's and settled in the Geelong area. Like many European immigrants he brought with him vegetable seeds including some favorite family tomato seeds. By the late '50's he was keeping the seeds of his most productive tomato and continued to grow this variety until 3-4 years ago. For many years he helped the local hospital by selling tomato seedlings at the hospital's annual Spring Fair.Apparently the word spread among the local gardeners and 'Mr Bruno's tomatoes' were eagerly sought after. Mr Bruno is still alive and now resides in a Senior Citizen's home. He can no longer grow his tomatoes.I spoke with him recently and he is happy to have the distribution of the seeds widened.

His tomato has done brilliantly for me this season. It is a heavy producer of 7-8 oz slicing tomatoes (see photo).It is a ribbed tomato with a balanced flavor leaning perhaps towards sweet rather than acid.I've already picked 15 lbs from this one bush and it's still producing.

The bush ia a strong regular-leafed grower but not tall ( say 31/2- 4 feet) the shortest of all my bushes this year. It needs supporting.A feature has been the even size of the fruit.

I'm saving seeds and happy to share with anyone interested.

Brenton

Comments (70)

• elkwc
    16 years ago

Bill I looked this thread up to see if anyone with an earlier season had posted any updates. All of my tomatoes are later this year. First a cool spring and then hail. I have two Mr. Bruno's. Both are setting fruit well. The biggest is around dime size now. Mine look very healthy. Them and Goosecreek are the most impressive now. With a few close behind. I have around 60 varieties so a pretty good test. Take it you haven't tasted any yet. This hasn't been the best year so far to judge plants by but the Bruno's are standing out so far. Keep us informed on yours and hopefully some others will chime in. Jay

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Will do Jay. My elderly neighbor over the back fence Tom, called me late yesterday and wanted to know if I could come out to the garden. He had run across the print out with the pictures and the first few postings in this thread that I had given him. It reminded him and he wanted to know if I had any of them growing, said he hoped to get one to taste and save seed from. I pointed out those two plants and he said that he guessed he could wait. ":^)

I am happy that yours look impressive at this point, and regret that the season here has been as it has.
    Although it has been my experience with most new varieties in my garden, that they do better the second year that I grow them here. Several of the tomatoes that I already have on the vine are big enough to save seed from after they ripen, so I will have some to try again next year and maybe we will have a more typical year.

I am eager to hear from anyone else that is growing them too.
    Regards.
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

With as many as Brenton sent out there should be several others to share thoughts soon I hope. Will be anxious to hear your impression of flavor. That varies so you never know what your experience will be. Here Brandywine and Cherokee Purple are just average or above. But in some areas they wow you. Yes I agree the 2nd year can make a difference it seems. Great gardening. Jay

• vgautam
    16 years ago

Hi Bill and Jay,

Will you be bagging a few of the trusses later, to save seed?

I have some fun tomato seeds to exchange, if you are interested.

Thanks.

gautam

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Hi gautam. I do not usually bag, but may give it a try. I should have some seed to spare later on in the summer, if you want to remind me later.
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

No plans to bag as of now but do plan on keeping seeds from some of the first fruit. And there wasn't any set of blooms around them so feel pretty good about them. This will be my first time saving seeds but would gladly send you some if it goes well. I might try bagging a little later also. We will see. Just let me know if you need any. Jay

• vgautam
    16 years ago

Thank you both very much. Yes, please do try bagging at least 1 truss, just in case. And it is just for a day or three until the first couple of flowers have set; i use a torn piece of floating row.No need to ferment. Just scoop a few [5-6] seeds from those first 2 fruits of the truss onto a paper towel and enjoy the rest of the fruit!!!

I shall have some seed from an English variety, "The Amateur" that I got out the germplasm bank. Short and early. Would believe no one in the US would be growing it out, not even Geneva, NY, so you are welcome to that seed. Also some other I shall let you know by pm.

Thanks again.

gautam

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

AH HA! The old paper towel seed tape trick, as Don Adams of the old Get Smart T.V. show might have said. ":^)

You got it man.
    Bill P.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

I sincerely hope that the others that received the Mr. Bruno seeds from Brenton from down under are having better success than I am. I are pretty disappointed with mine, however in all fairness, I got a bit of a late start, the seedlings were scrawney and puny, then we have had anything but typical weather. I think that the incessant rain every day and sometimes two times per day during the month of June had to be very detrimental to they and the yellowing leaves have marched right up the plants. In addition to that, I have had much better success with new varieties in the second year from seed that I saved over the first year so perhaps that will hold true for poor Mr. Bruno.

It does appear that I will at least get to do a taste test and save some seeds .

Does any one else have anything to report yet ??
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

Bill,
    I will try to get some pictures posted of mine soon. The fruit is still small. I put out two plants and both are getting several. Mine look nice. Were nice seedlings also. In another 2 weeks I should be able to tell more. I've been impressed so far. We had a cool late spring followed by a hail storm and they both have responded as good as any. Hope they taste is good. Jay

• tomato_jam
    16 years ago

I've had nothing but good luck with Mr. Bruno and am already very fond of the pretty, stocky plants. Mr. Bruno was very crinkly and crooked for 48 hours after germination, but my seedlings have been quite strong.

I had 90% germination of seeds - 9 out of the 10 I planted germinated, albeit a day or so after 12 other varieties I seeded on 4/28/07.

Mr. Bruno is tolerating our early drought nicely and is showing off sprays of flowers right now. They should have visible fruit in the next few days. The plants seem to have some wind and sunburn tolerance, and they've responded very well to calcium and kelp feedings before transplanting.

Thanks again, Brenton! Your seeds from Kentucky are finally on their way, btw. I've included seeds of Mr. Bruno's best "bedmates" from this year that seem to be less drought-sensitive.

Julie

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Mr. Gautam, I sent you an email through your page on G.W. but with he problems some have with that, I am not sure that you will get it. Please try emailing me, I have some Mr. Bruno seeds that I can mail to you now.
    Bill P.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Hi Julie. Thanks for your informative post on your Mr. Bruno. Sounds like yours are doing well, better than mine. It will be welcome news if they are indeed, more heat and drought tolerant than most. We do have that kind of weather here, if we ain't flooding. ":^)

I planted some seed that I saved from my Mr. Bruno and had very good germination and probably stronger looking tiny seedlings than I did from the original. I took them out side and the second night out there, something ate the tops off every danged one. I suspect pill bugs and/or ants.

Guess that I will plant some more and take better care of them till they are bigger cause I wanted to plant some for fall and hope that they will not be flooded like these have been.
    Bill P.

• tomato_jam
    16 years ago

Hi, Bill -

It's a shame Kentuckians and Texans can't swap out our weather this year half-and-half. KYians can't complain too much, though - the drought is causing loss of farm and garden produce, but not loss of homes and family members outright like the floods in TX.

I thought your Mr. B's looked pretty good! I'm looking forward to trying the fruit. I planted ours so late that we might not get any until early August.

Julie

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Yeah Julie, it seems to be feast or famine, doesn't it. Someone posted above that they seem to be somewhat heat and drought tolerant, that might bode well for you in your weather conditions. When you get ready to save seed, them things have lots of seed in them.

Be sure and keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
    Bill P.

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

I an growing Aussie this year, and they are doing well in this drough in my area.

Is the name Bruno's tomatoes' is going to replace the Name Auussie?

This hisotry from Mr. Bruno's is very interesting, and maybe should be Named ((Mr. Bruno's Aussie))), Amen!

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Perhaps I am naive Mrs. Justice, but I do not think that they are the same tomato.
    Bill P.

• downinmyback
    16 years ago

I have 4 of the Mr Bruno tomato plants and they are doing great here so far. I got a late start because i lost my first batch to a late frost and i forgot about Mr Bruno seeds for about a month later before i started them. My plants are 3 to 3and a half feet tall and with green leaves and alot of blooms on them. No fruit yet but it should be Soon . We are having a severe drought here and high heat ( we are 20 inches behind in rainfall and we are in the 90 degree heat here). I have over 100 tomato plants with 34 varieties and Mr Bruno is doing better than average. They seem to like the hot and dry conditions and show disease resistance so far. I am bagging blossoms and will have seeds later in the season. I Will plant this variety next year if it passes my taste test as it seems to like the Mississippi Delta.

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Thanks Hon. Bill
    So the Name Aussie is short for Australian's Heirlooms of different type's.

Then I would like to Farm this Beautiful Tomato; Mr. Bruno's!!!

I just need the seeds ((Somebody))

smile's mrsjustice, with her hands out for seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

If you care to email to me your mailing information, I will send you some of my seed for the Mr. Bruno tomato. Try going through the my page thing and see if it will come thru G.W.
    Bill P.

• bill-inpnw
    16 years ago

Bill,

I tried to send you an email thru GW.

Bill S

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

I got it and responded Bill S. Did you get my reply ??
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

I still haven't got any pictures but my two are still going great guns. I haven't counted either but guessing the one has at least 15 tomatoes set at this time and lots more blooms. I'm going to try to save seeds but not bagging any blooms. But there wasn't any close to it when they set and I spaced mine 4' apart so feel they should be fine. If any one would desire seeds and something drastic don't happen I'll be glad to send some. If someone needs a few for this fall I might be able to spare a few I was sent. Jay

• luvgardening2
    16 years ago

If anyone can spare a few seeds, I would love to plant a few. I have no clue how to use the email here so if you could email me at catheaven2000@yahoo.com I will be happy to work it out with you. Many thanks!

nancy

• miesenbacher
    16 years ago

I'm growing Mr. Bruno's this year and even though none are ripe yet I have a load of tomatoes on it getting ready to turn. I sent Brenton an e-mail to tell him how they are doing and here is his response.
    Great to get your e-mail and update on Mr Bruno's tomato. Glad to hear it is doing well. Sorry to be slow in replying but I've been away for a week or so. Depth of winter here now. Coldest day yesterday in 9 years in my neck of the woods (7C ) - close to snow. I'm at 1000ft and snow rare here (say once every 10 years) but yesterday a couple of towns near me at 2000 ft or so received a light fall. I was reluctant to advertise seeds of mr Bruno because I've only been growing tomatoes seriously for about 5 years and this is the first time I've saved seeds. However the tomato was a great little workhorse : not tall but healthy and productive. Hope taste is O.K.
    Incidentally the colleague who gave me the original seeds visited Mr Martino Bruno in his aged care home recently.He is 92 years old and walks with a frame but mind active. She told him his seeds had gone to USA Canada and Germany. He was delighted to hear this news and wanted to be kept informed of their progress in climates different to here.

Regards Brenton George

• elkwc
    16 years ago

Bill I finally took some pictures of one of my Mr Bruno's today. It is in the row where I lost 10 of 16 to TSWV and is looking very good yet. Knock on wood. There is several on this plant not in the picture but maybe you can get an idea how mine is doing. Both Mr Bruno's are sprawlers. Jay
    {{gwi:1301512}}

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting your pictures Jay. Very nice looking plants and tomatoes at this point. Mine are history now.

I did save seed and have had very good germination rates. I have planted twice . The first time, something ate the tops off them on the second night that they were outside. You may be able to see some of the stumps of the plants sticking up in some of the cells.

I will be repotting them up to 16 Oz. Styrofoam cups soon and try them for a fall crop to see if the weather cooperates a little more than it has this spring.

Please keep us posted as you get some ripe ones and let us know what you think of the taste of them.
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

Bill,
    Yes I've been impressed so far with them. Looking forward to tasting them. Not sure the first ones are going to be very big. The heat has set in now and so far looks like they are handling it well. Both plants have done well. Looks like several of us should be tasting them in the next month.
    Yes could see the stumps. Hope they do well for you this fall. Know several say it doesn't make any difference but I still believe plants adapt and as you grow them in a location they will do better. Just my opinion. Jay

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Thank you Hon. Bill for sending me Mr. Brenton George seeds.

I now have two Heirlooms Tomatoes seeds handed down from the Living Family Members. The Hawkins Family from Florida and Mr. Brenton George.

I will keep you posted here on there development of this fall crop of Mr Bruno's.

Regards Brenton George, and the Hawkins Family, Amen!!!

A Big Thank You to (Hon. Bill)

mrsjustice

• vince_chemist
    16 years ago

All but one of my twenty MR Brunos transplants for fall have died or been pulled due to fungal infection. The lone survivor is not looking so hot. It has been a tough year for all my fall transplants. Hopefully you all save some seed and spread them around next year as I am out.

Vince

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Ooh, I'd love to try to grow these for next season. Would anyone have any to spare? Email via GW should work for me, I just tested it. :)

Many thanks!

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Vince, my plants are gone now too. We had unprecedented rain for two months and it really whacked my garden. Some things are still producing well but Mr. Bruno is not one of them. I did get a few good tomatoes and saved some seed (they have quite a few seed in them) but see no way to email you on your page.
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

My two are loaded and have picked two small ones. Plan on saving seeds from some of the next ones. Will be glad to share. This will be my first year seed saving so hopefully it will go well. I've had hail, TSWV, thrips and mites this year. Things look good now. If you send my your name I can let you know if and when I get any. Jay

• vince_chemist
    16 years ago

Bill or anyone else growing these mater, how do they taste. If they do not taste very good, they may not get a spot next year. Bill, you can email me at vincentlavallo@hotmail.com.

Vince

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Thanks Vince, I sent you an email. I don't feel that Mr. Bruno got a fair shake this year in my garden due to circumstances. As far as taste I would rate it about a 7 on my list of one to ten, but it had a rough go and was up against some tough competition with the other things that I grow that I have found over the years to be what I consider best.
    Bill P.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

As I've stated before this has been a tough year here. Late cold spell delayed transplanting ten days. Then a moderate hail, then the TSWV and after the cool wet humid early growing season it has now turned hot and very dry. Mr. Bruno has looked good through all of it. The early fruit has been some smaller than the later ones are going to be. So too early to tell yet but would say like Bill a 7 to 7.5 and expect it too improve as I pick more. And each plant has around 30 I would say and still setting fruit. The biggest so far has been around 4 oz. maybe but like I said there is bigger green fruit on the vines now. Jay

• elkwc
    16 years ago

Here is a Mr Bruno I picked today. Weighed an even 6 oz.. Will let it ripen a few days before tasting it. Have picked two before that were smaller. They were average tasting. But they were small and stunted by the hail. Every variety I've picked so far has really improved after the first few fruits. Both plants are loaded and doing very well yet. Will have a taste and sliced report soon. Jay {{gwi:1301513}}

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update Jay. That is a pretty little tomato. For some reason, I thought that they were going to be bigger than anything that I have seen thus far.

Be sure and update us later as those other ones ripen. The taste of all of my varieties has improve since the rains stopped.
    Bill P.

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

I am giving this a bump, as I'd love to know how the growers found the tomatoes tasted, and if this plant is determinate or indeterminate. Thanks!

• elkwc
    16 years ago

I had two plants. They were indetminate and steady all season producers. Wasn't hardly as big as Brenton said his were but many of mine weren't last year. I blame it on the stress mine went through. I had last freeze that delayed planting about 10 days and then a hail that set the ones that survived back worse than I've ever seen. The taste of mine was a 6.5 I would say. One I'll grow again because of the production and to see if they will get bigger. I would say mine ran 4-8 ounces with most 4-6. They were not as ribbed as his. Not sure if that was my climate or if they could of possibly been crossed. They will get a return to my garden. And I'm not repeating many as I have so many I want to try. The only way you will know how it will do for you is try it. Jay

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to trying them. I'm planning to try at least one in a biggish container, as well as in the ground.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

I agree with Jay. Mine drowned out from the excessive rainfall that we received. They produced a few small tomatoes.

Almost all of mine tasted bland during that period of the year, but the few that I got did taste pretty fair. I was able to save quite a few seed and will try them again with hopefully, a more normal year to see how they do. Like Jay, mine were not all that big this past year.
    Bill P.

• paige_nc
    16 years ago

I got some Mr. Bruno seeds from Brenton,but received to late for the 2007 season in northwest nc. I will try Mr. Bruno this year and let you know how they do here in NC.

Paige

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Please do keep us posted Paige. I have some (not all of these are Mr. Bruno) intending to try them again this year and hope that they get a fair trial.
    Bill P.

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

Gonna be trying these this year too. This tomato really gets around!!

• laura_k
    16 years ago

Hi Folks,
    I stumbled on this thread and was wondering how the growing was going this season. Any better luck so far?

• elkwc
    16 years ago

I will sow mine tonight. Brenton sent me fresh seeds in case my seeds last year were crossed. They were good producers last year. Jay

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

The one I'm growing for this year has sprouted. Seeds courtesy of gonefishin (thanks again!).

My tomato seed tray is sowing/sitting outdoors under a dome, I'm hoping to see if it'll be worth the hassle-savings from hardening off this season.
    {{gwi:1301514}}

Although I still have my WOW, I haven't started anything early this season.

• rbraymond
    15 years ago

I harvested three Mr. Bruno toms this week. But they were all mushey. I started the seeds in Jan and transplanted them in one gal containers in Feb. Then in ground Mar 15th. I believe the cold spring nights in Mar and early Apr affected the taste and made them mushey.
    Have about a dozen green on each of my two plants.
    Will keep you posted on their taste.
    B.

• elkwc
    15 years ago

I would suspect the weather. I don't remember any of mine being mushy last year. Mine will go in the ground today. So should know something here in 70 days or less. JD