Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2012 input needed

Posted by isuhunter 5a IA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 22:12

Well Gardenweb helped me big time a few years ago when a buddy and I started a garden. Had to take last year off of gardening because of taking new job and moving. Since I have moved I will be starting a new garden. I had some friends ask me to start some tomato seeds for them. Looking for some advice on what you think of the varieties I have access to. I want to keep it to about 5 varieties we all want some for canning and some to eat in summer. Also any others I should consider looking at? (Heidi?)

Rutgers
Amish Paste
Opalka
Brandywine Yellow
Dwarf Champion
Bloody butcher
Mortgage Lifter
Black Krim
Oxheart Tomato
Beefmaster
Beefsteak
Brandywine Red
Brandywine OTV

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2012 input needed

Keeping at 5;
Rutgers
Amish Paste
Black Krim
Oxheart
Brandywine OTV

o

I got thinking...

During our long move and temporary living we stored everything in a hot humid garage. My seeds would have been in a tub there. I better look at buying some new ones.

I'm going to get some from wintersown.org. Where else should I look to get some? Sandhill? -- wonder what the wait time is on their list now.

o

Isuhunter. If you need seeds quickly neither of the two you mentioned will be fast. Very Good sources, but not fast. Johnnys Selected Seed is very fast. I also like Sample Seed Shop for small, cheap packs of toms and they will get them right out also. If you PM me, I will send you Mortgage Lifter, BW RED and BW yellow. Oh I also have some Rutgers, old but mine popped up in just a few days. LInda.

o

Have you done a germination test of the stored seeds? Maybe all is not lost.

o

I'm working on getting my workshop set up and I will do some tests on them. The problem is I only have 6 seeds of some of the varieties left.

o

Linda...not sure if I pm'd you correctly...I think it might have emailed you

o

Good thing you posted, I had not seen it, looks like it went to junk. I will send out the seeds today. Sorry, I said PM because thats how it works on a different site, here it is email. LInda

o

Awesome! Thanks so much Linda! Other forums I use are PM too...are you saying there is another good gardening forum out there???

o

It is against the rules here at GW for members to name other gardening forums and GW will cancel your membership if you do. Sorry, you'll just have to be resourceful.....LInda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here