Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suvoth

Newbie Looking For Advice

suvoth
10 years ago

Hey All :)

I am extremely new to gardening (this will be my first attempt). I bought a few different seeds to plant myself and wondered if any of these need to be planted later, earlier or maybe all at the same time? I heard 6 weeks? 5? before last frost? Oh, and if I buy let's say 10 gallon containers for each..will that suffice? thanks!!

Cherokee Purple
Caspian Pink
Sweeties
Yellow Zebra
Jericho Lettuce
King of the North Peppers

Comments (11)

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention I live in Fredericton, NB...I think that is zone 4b?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Welcome ! We all start from somewhere as NEWBIE. With todays internet and sites like this , one can learn much faster than few decades ago.

WHEN TO START:
    Starting from seeds has nothing to do weather a variety is EARLY, MID pr LATE season. Tomatoes are not like lettuce, beans that will have a short garden life ; They will live and fruit pretty much until the end of season. So I would start them all and plant them all as soon as possible. So 6 weeks before the last frost date is a good timing. For zone 4b, probably you have to hold on for a while. ( I don't know the date )

About container size: I personally think that !0 gal per plant is more than adequate for the largest potato plants.

Good Luck !

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:15

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! So excited to try growing :D They say it's cheaper than buying from a grocery store but I am assuming everyone means after the first year of growing lol

• yardenman
    10 years ago

Almost all seed packets will mention how long before the average last frost to start your seeds inside (and it varies from crop to crop). In my earlier years, I grew fine tomatoes and peppers on an apartment balcony in cheap 5 gal buckets filled with 1/2 compost and 1/2 potting soil. Good luck on the Cherokee Purple; they are my FAVORITE tomato! Um, you might not save money growing your own veggies. There are material costs. But they will taste a LOT better.

And welcome to the gardening world...

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :) I managed to pick up 7.5 Gallon pots from a dollarama for $3 bucks a piece...sooo I am saving some money right there lol. I can't wait to start!

• terry_neoh
    10 years ago

If spring is late coming, and your plants are getting leggy (too tall and spindley) I have found that pinching the top off will make the plant grow thicker before new growth starts again.

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice :)

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Or, with tomatoes if they get leggy you can pinch off the bottom leaves when you pot them up and bury them all the up to the next set of leaves. Tomatoes are about the only plant I know that will do this (I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me LOL) but they will root from any part of the stem that touches soil. If you are going to grow in pots, I'd suggest heading to the Container Forum - they can guide you on potting mixes, etc. Welcome to a wonderful hobby!

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Very excited. Managed to get cheap pots at about 7.5 gallons so I'm thinking they're big enough. And yes, now i have to worry about how to mix soil so will check it out.

• suvoth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very informative, thanks

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz