Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Looking For Advice

Posted by suvoth (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 22:15

Hey All :)

I am extremely new to gardening (this will be my first attempt). I bought a few different seeds to plant myself and wondered if any of these need to be planted later, earlier or maybe all at the same time? I heard 6 weeks? 5? before last frost? Oh, and if I buy let's say 10 gallon containers for each..will that suffice? thanks!!

Cherokee Purple
Caspian Pink
Sweeties
Yellow Zebra
Jericho Lettuce
King of the North Peppers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Looking For Advice

Oh, forgot to mention I live in Fredericton, NB...I think that is zone 4b?

o

Welcome ! We all start from somewhere as NEWBIE. With todays internet and sites like this , one can learn much faster than few decades ago.

WHEN TO START:
Starting from seeds has nothing to do weather a variety is EARLY, MID pr LATE season. Tomatoes are not like lettuce, beans that will have a short garden life ; They will live and fruit pretty much until the end of season. So I would start them all and plant them all as soon as possible. So 6 weeks before the last frost date is a good timing. For zone 4b, probably you have to hold on for a while. ( I don't know the date )

About container size: I personally think that !0 gal per plant is more than adequate for the largest potato plants.

Good Luck !

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:15

o

Thanks! So excited to try growing :D They say it's cheaper than buying from a grocery store but I am assuming everyone means after the first year of growing lol

o

Almost all seed packets will mention how long before the average last frost to start your seeds inside (and it varies from crop to crop). In my earlier years, I grew fine tomatoes and peppers on an apartment balcony in cheap 5 gal buckets filled with 1/2 compost and 1/2 potting soil. Good luck on the Cherokee Purple; they are my FAVORITE tomato! Um, you might not save money growing your own veggies. There are material costs. But they will taste a LOT better.

And welcome to the gardening world...

o

Thanks :) I managed to pick up 7.5 Gallon pots from a dollarama for $3 bucks a piece...sooo I am saving some money right there lol. I can't wait to start!

o

If spring is late coming, and your plants are getting leggy (too tall and spindley) I have found that pinching the top off will make the plant grow thicker before new growth starts again.

o

Thanks for the advice :)

o

Or, with tomatoes if they get leggy you can pinch off the bottom leaves when you pot them up and bury them all the up to the next set of leaves. Tomatoes are about the only plant I know that will do this (I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me LOL) but they will root from any part of the stem that touches soil. If you are going to grow in pots, I'd suggest heading to the Container Forum - they can guide you on potting mixes, etc. Welcome to a wonderful hobby!

o

Thanks! Very excited. Managed to get cheap pots at about 7.5 gallons so I'm thinking they're big enough. And yes, now i have to worry about how to mix soil so will check it out.

o

Tomatoes are annuals. From the time you plant them outside , in a container till they practically expire (due to cold or frost) is about 5 months in most places. And root bounding should not be a big concern.
Having said above, I believe that they do not need a huge container. Even a 5 gallon bucket is big enough. Soil itself is just a medium. What the plants need are: Moisture and Nutrients. As long as you provide those to the plant REGULARLY and PROPERLY, that is all they care for.
Most pot/container and in ground spacing is for the TOP consideration and head room than for root requirements. Just look at fruit trees like cherries. They are spaced mostly because the need head room, IF YOU WANT TO HARVEST FRUITS OFF OF THEM. I have seen towering, oaks, maples and other trees growing in clumps and share the nutrients in a common root space. If the soil is rich and they get enough moisture, they all will be just fine. The same is true about garden veggies. Even more so true b/c garden veggies are mostly annuals and thus have a short life.

The commercial farmers provide a lot of spacing btween tomato plants, NOT BECAUSE it is required for the plants sake, but for maintenance and harvesting in a mechanized environment. But in a limited space in my backyard I dont do it that way. Then some have developed the concept of "Square Foot" gardening which is aimed at utilizing the garden space to its fullest. Planting in container goes even further in optimal use of space and soil. If one enjoys the luxury of space, soil, container space, that is perfectly fine too.

o

Very informative, thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here