Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato spacing

Posted by katiegrows422 32073 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:15

I put soil in a 5 gallon pot and planted some Roma tomato seeds. I didn't realize they would all sprout . Now I have 4 baby sports growing in 1 square inch. Should I pluck the others and only leave one stem? Should I wait to see which is the strongest stem first or should I leave All 4 sprouts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato spacing

You can lift them out to different containers carefully with a fork, or you can wait to see which is the strongest and clip the other ones.

o

What is optimal garden spacing for tomato plants? I will transplant seedlings this weekend and next and usually allow at least 1'. What does the group say? Thanks.

o

What is optimal garden spacing for tomato plants?

In containers? Normally 1 plant.

In ground? It all depends on what type, if you are going to prune them to a single stem or not, and what type of support you are using - cages or stakes or Florida weave. 1' is way too close regardless.

For un-puned plants, 2' is the minimum, 3' spacing is the standard, 4' if using cages.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. I'm planning on using a Florida Weave for trellising, my plants are in-ground, 4'x6' beds. I'm thinking I could get two plants per bed (I have 3 beds). And I'll snip out the suckers. What do you think?

Some of the plants will be large (Marianna's Peace for example). Others will be smaller (Silvery Fir Tree). Maybe one of the large and one of the small in the same bed? Two MP in one bed at opposite ends?

KatieGrows, sorry if this is a hi-jack but the subject line exactly suits and I was planning to post the question this morning. Thanks for pre-empting me. :-) Hopefully it is helpful for you as well so you can plants those excess germinated sprouts in the ground.

o

with the weave system:

• 18-24" for determinates
  • 24" for indeterminates
  • 24-36" for strong indeterminates

o

Yikes! I need acreage! Thanks for the detailed info mule.

o

I plant mine 15 to 18 inches apart with the Florida Weave. These are inside a high tunnel. I also prune all leaves up to the first flower cluster and I also sucker them until I don't have time for it.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here