Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

German Giant - Freebie at TGS - Opinions Wanted!

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

What do you think of German Giant as compared to Brandywine Sudduths?

Comments (10)

• bigpinks
    12 years ago

I havent grown that one but the pictures on Google lend me to think it is more irregularly shaped than Estler Mortgagae Lifter or Bear Paw. I like smooth round tomatoes but most of the big ones usually are not like that. It seems to be a whopping big tomato tho.

• lewski
    12 years ago

It was many years ago that I grew GG, but I remember enjoying it. I think the description in the TGS catalog is, like many, an exageration. The size was more in the 1lb. range, and was not as productive as indicated. Still a better yield for me than Sudduth.

It's one I've wanted to grow again, but[sigh], too many hundreds of others out there to try.

Lew

• largemouth
    12 years ago

Comparing beautiful heirlooms to each other, eh? That's a tough one, yum.

Picasso to Rembrant, Warhol to Haring?

In the eye of the beholder, yum, right?. Grown both. Both beautiful, but the Giant is the winner.

But, I am the beholder, yum. It is your eye.

Is it a matter of space that you ask, that you can not grow both? I would, and do, grow both.

You can, too. Right? Do it, yum. Know you can. Then you can tell us. I look forward to your results. And to spring, and all our beautiful heirloom tomatoes!

My best, always....

• garystpaul
    12 years ago

Yum, I haven't grown German Giant, but I have tried many a season with Brandywine Sudduth and found it on the whole pretty stingy with its fruit. This past year was better than ever before, but still only about 5 or 6 big ones, all delicious of course. I've also grown Earl's Faux which is very much like Brandywine S. but only marginally more productive��"by which I mean for me in my garden in a particular year. Others may have better experiences with these. This year I'm replacing both of them with Stump of the World, another 'taste-alike' but much more productive or so I'm told. And so it goes....

Let us know what you decide and how it comes out.

Gary

• suncitylinda
    12 years ago

Gary - I like Stump better than the BW Suddaths I have thus far tasted, which I will admit have been few and far between. Prudens Purple is another, MUCH more productive BW wanna be, and ealier for that matter. Taste is great. Linda

• larryw
    12 years ago

I'd do about 3 votes to one for Pruden's Purple over both
    Suddith's Brandywine and German Giant. In the last couple years, however, I've found Spudakee which I believe is supposed to be a selected cross between a Brandywine and Cherokee Purple. Wow!! This is some fine tasting tomato. And
    pretty darn good on the yield too; far better than Brandywine.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't tell you how much I wish I had the space to grow more tomatoes but I live in an HOA and can only grow them behind my courtyard wall.

This fall growing Brandywine OTV and Cherokee Purple. Spring I will try Brandywine Landis and maybe Sudduth, haven't decided.

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

Hi

We grew it this year and it worked out good for us. I wouldn't call our plant highly productive, but the fruit that came off it were indeed large! The largest fruit was 2 lbs, with a few 1 pounders. Taste was good, ripened early enough for us. Mild tasting, we would use in sauces.

• tomakers
    11 years ago

I too prefer Stump of the World over all the brandywines and wannabe's I have grown in many years of tomato addiction. I love Earl's Faux, but SOTW beats it easily for production and it tastes great too.
    JMO,
    Tom

• alanleveritt
    11 years ago

We got German Giant from TGS this spring and we planted 36, worried that we were wasting valuable space. I was surprised and delighted. It is an early potato leaf variety with huge, delicious red tomatoes. The plants don't last long. Once you get that wonderful burst of tomatoes the vines are the first ones in the garden to die. But we got really large, productive, great tasting tomatoes that sold at the farmers market for $4 lb. That is roughly $4 per tomato.