Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandy Boy F1 vs F9

Posted by rt_peasant 5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 0:23

Last year, after reading many positive reviews about Brandy Boy, I decided to give this tomato a try. I wasn't excited about paying $11 (ugh!) for a packet of seeds, so I initially reached out to some GW'ers who had been saving Brandy Boy seeds. When I didn't hear back, I broke down and ordered a packet from Burpee. Shortly after receiving my seeds, I got contacted by John A, who graciously offered some of his Brandy Boy F9 seeds. (Thank you!) I decided to grow one of each, F1 and F9, to see how they compared.

As far as growth habit goes, I don't think two plants could be more identical if they were clones. The flavor and overall eating quality were identical as well.

May 11, ready to plant the seedlings under Wall o' Waters.
 photo 20130511_171339.jpg

Both plants lost some leaves when the WOWs got too hot.
 photo 20130514_075124.jpg

No worries, by June 15, both plants are looking great.
 photo 20130615_101247.jpg

Two weeks later, the plants are exactly the same size and shape (the 2 in the middle with the T-stakes).
 photo 20130629_075545.jpg

July 15, still looking identical in every respect, with almost identical numbers of green tomatoes.
 photo 20130715_170503.jpg

75 days after transplanting the seedlings, both plants produced their first ripe tomato. Here is the only difference that I noted. While both plants produced a variety of tomato shapes, the F1 produced more tomatoes like the one on the left, while the F9 produced more like the one on the right. I don't know if this is significant on a sample size of 1 plant each, but it's something that I noticed.
 photo 20130728_111135.jpg

Both plants produced dozens of tomatoes, so productivity was excellent for both. The eating quality for both the F1 and F9 was outstanding. Brandy Boy is tangy, almost too much so for my wife. I like tomatoes with some zing, so they were perfect for me. They were juicy and practically fell apart when I sliced them. I had to be careful transferring them from the cutting board to a slice of bread, to keep the slices intact. They have very thin skin. If they so much as bumped another tomato's stem, they would be punctured. If I had one complaint about this tomato, it's that it has a relatively large core.
 photo 20130728_123417.jpg

All in all, Brandy Boy is an excellent tomato. It's fairly early, a vigorous producer, and tastes great. It says on Burpee's website that it's a hybrid, but I wonder if it's just a nice natural selection. At any rate, it appears to grow true to its parents like an OP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandy Boy F1 vs F9

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 11:21

All other factors aside, as they seem to have been identical, or nearly so, the fruit shape is an interesting difference. It is a classic example of incomplete dominance. The F1 generation fruit shows a blending of the two genes (smooth gene from better boy*, ribbed from brandywine) but in subsequent generations, you have some fruits reverting to the parent plants, and others still showing a blending. It would be interesting to grow other generations, f2-f8, and see how it worked out.

Of course, none of this is really important, just interesting.

*I'm assuming from the name that better boy was used in the initial cross, though, I can't find for certain.

o

That's really interesting that you compared the two.

Thanks for sharing!
Linda

o

Very interesting observations! I hope you saved seeds from your F9's.

o

rt - what a great post ! You did an excellent job of comparing these plants with awesome photos from seedlings to fruit! I feel like I planted these tomatoes myself with your start to finish photos! Thanks for sharing! Please keep informing us of your plants & graden !

We planted Brandy Boy Hybrid from Burpees last year for the first time and were very pleased with this variety. Great taste from very productive and hardy plants. I would recommend them for a great slicing tomato!

photo image_zpsec66f9b9.jpg

photo 3cffb7bf-1bfc-4620-a63e-bd83b1664942_zps015b7a96.jpg

o

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

I did save seeds from the F9. Although they don't know it yet, a number of my friends and coworkers will be getting Brandy Boy F10 seedlings this spring!

-Mark
(rt_peasant)

o

Loved reading this. Informative, interesting, well done, and the photos rock !

o

Mark,
We did not have the same issue with the tomato core with Brandy Boy as you can see in this photo - it may have been that they were grown in our GH (we cannot grow tomatoes in Wyoming without a GH). In this photo I was comparing Better Boy with Brandy Boy. We love and plant them both!

photo image_zps3ab164f6.jpg

o

Very good report card on those. But it is too late for me to start. Maybe, if I can find seedlings , I will grow BB F1.

o

RT - Thanks for your comprehensive report. Glad they turned out well for you. I think I still have F8 through F10 seeds. Mine could not be considered commercial quality because my sample size is too small. I ordered new F1's from Burpee so I can get a valid comparison. If anyone else wants to give it a try, send me an email. Please make sure your email is not blocked on GW.
John A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here