Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WARNING on posting photos

Posted by sautesmom z9 Sacramento CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 0:38

This is cross-posted...

Everyone who posts photos in their messages needs to be aware of the newest technology--several times lately I have viewed people's Gardenweb photos taken with advanced digital cameras, and the page they are hosted on has the longitude and latitude of where the photo was taken, and sometimes even a link to Google maps!!! Since many of us take photos of our back yards, I have followed these links to that person's address, with a satellite photo on Googlemaps of their back yard, complete with street address!!!
So unless you want burglars or internet kooks climbing over your back fence, you should make sure you are blocking the location where your photos were taken in your photo-hosting websites.

Carla in Sac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WARNING on posting photos

Wow!!!

o

Heard about that on another forum. Didn't try for myself though to see whose images carry the info, but thanks for sharing the warning. I hope none of my photos have my coords attached.

o

Photobucket doesn't have the info and any picasa photos I've looked at said n/a on the lat. and long.
Are you telling us that digital cameras have GPS and know where they are?

o
ree: warning on posting photos

I think it may be done from camera phones but not cameras.

o

Some digital cameras have GPS too.

o

What about Picture Trail? Will it happen from them?

Sammy

o

turn off the gps function on the device.

o

Correction--apparently it needs to be turned off in your camera itself, doing it in the photohosting website still leaves info spammers can mine.

And if you want to see where that photo on your trip in Europe was taken, you can turn it back on for rare instances, but you should turn it off at all other times if you share photos. And the default in these new cameras is to GeoTag the info on your picture, the default is NOT for privacy.

It's only the new advanced cameras with GPS, so if you have a 6-year-old camera like I do, you probably don't have to worry about it.

Carla in Sac

o

ALSO Heads up on the "quick pass" credit cards,these are the cards where you just swipe near near the terminal to pay rather then really swipe it thru the machine. These can be hijacked by thieves while they are still in your wallet ,all the thief has to do is get close enough to pick up your card signal on their portable scanner. I think wrapping the card in aluminum foil may prevent the theft

o

Check out apps similar to exifcleaner, which cleans your pics before posting them online. I'm not connected to this company, but I'm using the program.

Here is a link that might be useful: exif cleaner

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 20:52

Here's more info if you take photos with a phone or newer digital camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: web photo geotags

o

Where on your digital camera can you disconnect the GPS locator? I have a small sony digital.

o

most newer digital camera's have built in GPS. I know that flickr.com has a geotagging function as well as exif data. you can turn them off, but hackers can get in. I recommend taking pictures away from your home.

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 19:02

If you use a photo editor such as PhotoShop and save the edited photo with a new filename, it should get rid of most of the photo info, including latitude/longitude.

o

Good warning. But I have a modest back yard and can't see anyone pulling a heist to steal my tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here