Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How are hybrids produced commercially?

Posted by KCKook 5-6something (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 1:11

I do understand how to breed tomatoes on a small basis, but how the heck do they do it for the popular commercial hybrids? I rather doubt there's someone out there pinching off the anther cone & later pollinating a single flower. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How are hybrids produced commercially?

Below is one link to commercial production of F1 hybrids, but there's several points that need to be made.

Yes, you start with two inbred lines to make the first cross and all that, but there are usually two lines that are used, let's call them A and B.

Within each line certain genes are introduced for uniform ripening, high solids and genes for tolerance to certain diseases, etc.

There can be up to four parental inputs in each line. Then they take the last one in line A and cross it with the last one in line B and that gives the F1 hybrid seeds.

Much commercial F1 seed is produced in countries where labor is cheap so yes, they still have to go through emasculation of the blossoms. But starting many years ago increasingly male steriles are used so you dont have to do the emasculation.

The info about the exherted stigma being found with potato leaf varieties is not correct as many of us who have grown hundreds of PL varieties have found. But it's info that has been in the literature almost forever and just gets repeated as does the info about lack of Ca++ in the soil, with two exceptions, being the cause of Blossom End Rot.

I'm sure there are other links for the info given below but this is the one I happen to have in my faves and does illustrate bulk production of F1 seed.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here