Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato questions

Posted by luvofroses So Ut 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 1:33

This my first time posting to this forum. Last year was my first year to try to have a garden in this state. In N.C where we lived before my husband did the garden and it was always wonderful, but nothing seems to be the same here.I had my hubby build me some raised beds and I started planting and was a little over zealous but want to correct my mistakes this year so my questions are: last year I recieved some tomatoes that had very large cores in them and after slicing them and removing the core very little eatable tomato was left. Are there certain types of tomatoes that do this or was it the way they were grown? Also I been reading about indeterminate,and determinate and I have no idea what that means, and how important it is.Thanks so much for helping with this
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato questions

Ann, at the top of this first page there is a link to the FAQ's and the very first article is about the difference between determinate and indeterminate varieties and those terms describe the plant habit of tomato varieties. Det ones are shirt and bushy and most tend not to produce all season while indet have long vines and tend to produce fruits all season. There are far more indet varieties than det ones.

It's helpful in terms of knowing how far apart to plant your plants and how to grow them either by sprawling or in cages or by staking or in containers, or however else you might want to grow your tomatoes.

As for the white cores, Google is your friend and below I've linked to a Google search for white cores and most of the time they appear when plants are stressed as you'll find out when you read some of the links.

And in Utah, as opposed to NC, your tomatoes are much more likely to be stressed. So read some of the links within the Google search I posted below and see how to hopefully get around the stresses.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: White Cores

o

Thank you very much for the information. I am sorry I did not do my homework first, that would have been the thing to do.
Ann

o

I think you will also find that your plant out date differs greatly where you are now from when you planted in NC. That alone can reduce much of the stress on your plants.

And as always when trying to garden in a new location, other local gardeners can be a wealth of info. If there is a local Farmer's Market that is a great place to meet them and don't hesitate to ask them questions. They love talking gardening with customers or even browsers.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here