Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes not doing well in Memphis TN

Posted by catsgurleygirl 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 1:47

Hello,
My husband and I have a plot in our community garden and we find that the tomatoes just don't do well and have done especially poorly the past few years. It seems as though everyone we have talked to from backyard tomato growing neighbors to family up in Martin, TN has been reporting that their tomatoes just aren't doing well. What is the deal, can anyone relate to this or have any ideas?

Amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes not doing well in Memphis TN

Not sure, I'm on the other side of TN in Chattanooga, and my tomatoes do just fine?

o

In what way are your tomatoes not doing well?

Are you seeing disease?

What was the community garden before it was a community garden? What is the soil like? Has anyone tested the soil for nutrients and pH?

Are you able to water your tomatoes regularly? Do you fertilize, and if so, with what? Do you use mulch?

When your neighbors and relatives complain their tomatoes do poorly, exactly what are their problems?

o

Last year was bad in many parts of the country because of the weather but the most likely explanation for and long-term gardening issues like this is the soil.

Has it been tested professionally? Tests are available from the county extension office. Most importantly what is the pH of the soil? If it is out of whack nutrients provided are not available to the plants and they do poorly.

Has it been amended regularly? If so with what? Has there been chronic disease issues with the garden? If so which disease and is it soil borne or an airborne fungus problem? Are there nematodes in the soil? Do the plants, when pulled up at season's end show symptoms of nematodes?

Without regular high quality amending most any soil will become depleted and unproductive. So the best place to start is with a professional soil test.

You might also want to do some reading over on the Soil & Composting forum here for even more suggestions.

Dave

o

Tomatoes grow pretty well here in the Oak Ridge/ Knoxville area. I've grown them since I was 9 and almost never had a summer without fresh tomatoes. I think I got powdery mildew once but that was at the end of the season, I mostly lose them to the deer/racoons/possums or whatever else keeps invading my yard :?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here