Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peakchua

Can i grow italian tomatoes in malaysia?

peakchua
13 years ago

Hi! Im new to this forum and i just arrived in kuala lumpur for a two year job posting. I am an avid gardener who grew san marzano type tomatoes, roma type tomatoes and italian beefsteak types (franchi red pear, cuor de bue,constuluto genovese) in japan because it was pretty temperate. Since moving here, i have a big garden and want to grow these tomatoes. In malaysia, the climate is around 89-92F in the day and at night is around 78-85f. is it possible to grow these tomatoes in malaysia? (it is very expensive to get a permit to import seeds so i want to make sure)

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Why not ?
    Where do you tink tomato came from ? south America, of course, and spread all over the world. So no tomato is native to Italy. Although it may have slightly changed due to soil, weather and growing conditions. But you can grow it anywhere that you can grow any other kinds of tomatoes.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Hello,

There are a few people on this board who successfully grow tomatoes in tropical climates. Your nighttime temperatures sound a bit warm, but that might be okay.

I read about a farmer in Selangor who was growing tomatoes, but I don't know how successful he was. If you could buy or trade some seeds locally to try it, it would be a fun experiment.

Best of luck.

• peakchua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

too bad i cant.

gardening in malaysia is reallllllllllllly bad. we cant even order from hardware shops because they dont understand you!! the only varieties kl has are from an australian company called yates and they only sell... as you can see my only option is to buy from growitalian.com
    -beefsteak
    -grosse lisse'
    -improved appolo f1
    -tropical tomato

• miket_pdx
    13 years ago

I lived and worked in Panang during the late 90's, and sympathize with you regarding the climate.
    There are tomatoes that grow successfully in Malaysia. In fact this year I got two varieties from Malaysia in a seed trade: Kampong and Cameron Highlands. They're going in my garden in a couple months....we'll see how they do in the Oregon climate.
    I was told that Kampong is a small-fruited variety that grows everywhere. It's used mainly in cooking, especially for curry dishes.
    Cameron Highlands is a large-fruited salad variety.

While this may not help with your specific questions, you should know that tomatoes are successfully grown in Malaysia for the local market.

You might consider checking out the produce at the wet markets and see what's offered. Saving seed from locally grown varieties that you've tried and like may be your best option for successful tomato growing.

good luck.......Mike

• peakchua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i contacted gary ibsen of tomatofest and said that they do grow in topic temperatures. i trust him because many times, he has advised me on better varieties to buy instead of the more expensive ones.

• emkayriz
    9 years ago

Hi,

Plant san marzano tomato here in Malaysia should be no problems.

Just get right soil.

• Carla1
    9 years ago

I lived in neighboring Singapore, so I totally understand what you mean about ordering stuff. Getting answers on the phone was even worse. Too often people will make up stuff because they didn't know the answers (instead of saying, "I don't know. Let me check.")

In America, I always took for granted that you could get almost anything shipped to you quickly. I didn't grow tomatoes in Singapore because I had no balcony. One thing you might consider is asking a friend or family member to ship you some tomato seeds and to write "food" on the customs form. USPS has int'l flat rate shipping boxes.

• diemoldau123
    9 years ago

emkayriz, nice tomatoes, what's the size of those pots ?
    Will they be ok there or are you planning to transfer the plants to bigger pots? Just curious.

I have a couple of tomatoes in containers. I'm planning to transfer them to bigger pots but I'm too lazy. These tomatoes sprouted from my open compost bins. There are bell peppers as well. I have read a lot of books on gardening and stuff. I used to buy seeds but since I don't have a green thumb I had very minimal success. Now I just plant what sprouts from the compost bins (kitchen scraps).

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

I have sent seeds to Malaysia from seed offers, and no, I'm not commercial. No problem, no green import certificate needed.

Yes, Seysonn, the original home of tomatoes was in South America, but in the temperate highlands of mainly Chile and Peru, not from the hot humid jungle type environment lower down from those temperate plateaus.

Carolyn

• emkayriz
    9 years ago

diemoldau123,

that about 2 week aged. I just transfer to bigger pot and grow very fast. now my tomatoes fruitful.

I also have san marzano 2 and roma vf

• diemoldau123
    9 years ago

emkayriz, thank you for the follow up pic. Really nice tomatoes!
    I transplanted mine a week ago and so far they are doing fine. I hope I can duplicate your success :)

• chuah_grace
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi emkayriz, do you have some San Marzano seeds to spare? Wanna buy some from you. Been looking hi & lo here in Malaysia for those seeds. Where did u get them from?

• Egan Yeek
    3 years ago

Been growing cherry tomatoes at my backyard for some time, not sure what the variety is, it's oblong shaped. Blossom drop very frequently, rough estimate 80-90% did not make it. Once the fruit have set, it develop very well. Daytime temperature around 32-34C, at night 26-28C. Shading doesn't really help keep the heat off unfortunately. 1 degree at most.