Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with tomatoes

Posted by lisa252 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 6:20

Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this. about 20 years ago I grew the most flavorful acidic tomatoes based on the instructions of an elderly man at the grocery store. Here is what I did.
I planted the tomatoes in plain old potting soil (or vermiculite-he said either would do) and I did all their watering with a product called nutrisol. Those tomatoes were beyond good. We dried them and my husband made the best lasagna from them-me and my aunt talked about those tomatoes and lasagna for years. Well, years ago I scoured the net looking for nutrisol and it appears it went out of business and I have no idea what the formulation of it was. it was some kind of 3 number formula like 10-10-10 but I don't remember what! Can anyone help? I believe I had just bought regular old tom plants but do not remember the type. I want to say it was better boy but just not sure. However, I really think the process had more to do with it than the variety. Can anyone help? Anyone remember nutrisol? Any idea of formulations to mimick it? Thank you for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with tomatoes

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:55

Nutri-Sol was an early hydroponics high N and very high K feeding formula with a rating - if i remember correctly of - 20-20-38 just as growing only in vermiculite was an early hydroponics method.

In other words, what you were doing was a rough method of old hydroponics.

There are any number of modern hydro fertilizers available today with similar ratings IF hydroponic growing using their materials is what you want to do.

Of course hydroponics has moved far beyond those old methods and materials now so you will need to learn about new media as well as fertilizers for it to be effective. Check out the Hydroponics forum here for more info.

A personal observation if I may. There are many ways to grow tomatoes successfully and old remembered tastes aren't always as good as we think we remember. :)

Dave

o

A personal observation if I may. There are many ways to grow tomatoes successfully and old remembered tastes aren't always as good as we think we remember. :)

Dave
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
fully agree.
There are many ways (soil, nutrients, climates, ..) that one can grow tomatoes successfully. The TASTE issue, relating to one's memory can be perceptive, nostalgic and personal.

o

thank you so much Dave- I realized it was a hydroponics method but just did not have the formulation. Now I have something to go on to try the experiment again. I know time can enhance the flavors of one's memories, but trust me, these were the best tomatoes ever! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here