Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

Organic tomato magic redone the trial. (lots of pics)

daylilyfanatic4
15 years ago

Hi, I decided to start a new thread because the other one was already getting a little long and since I will be posting lots of photos over the coming months I didn't want anyone to have trouble loading the page.

To everyone who has already volunteered to trial a couple of plants please try and post photos of your tomatoes here.

I hope everyone will countinue to post your comments here also.

Check back for updates soon...

DLF

Comments (15)

• marandalovesveggies
    15 years ago

I'm excited about this!!! I have some awesome, rare treasures in my seedling collection this year!
    Here is my list...

African Togo Trifle
    Yellow Triffle (different than Trifle)
    Fantome du Laos
    Eva's yellow Striped
    Voyage
    Pineapple
    White Wonder
    Cherokee Purple
    Green Zebra
    Yellow Pear
    An orange cherry that came from a friend (don't know cultivar)
    Red Zebra Cherry (totally experimental)
    Purple Tomatillos

Propagated Mortgage Lifter and Banana Legs, but seedlings, even in different greenhouse settings, are completely pitiful and sad. Do not plant to grow them out unless some magical space opens up lol.

I can't wait to take pictures!!!

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi will you be trialing the OTM pruning method?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

You might want to link this to the other thread with all the basic info in it so folks know what is going on. ;)

Dave

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good Idea digdirt, I am trialing a method called organic tomato magic (otm) in which you prune all the leaf branches and suckers off below each flower cluster.

I am using two Matina plants and two jetstar plants one pruned and one unpruned (to two leaders)of each.

I am hoping to have as many people as possible try this out with their tomatoes. I must warn you most f the tomato experts on this forum are skeptical that the method will work to say the least.

OK as soon as my seedlings come up I'll start to post updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic tomato magic trial redone

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok well some of my seedlings are up the matina and jet star seeds are still in my "sandwich seed starter" but I have some pic of brandywine and NAR that are coming up.

Brandywine

NAR

my cups

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK it's time for an update on my slowly growing seedlings.

NAR

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, everyone I have potted up most of my seedlings now and I'm waiting for them to take off. the 15 day forecast calls for a 39 degree night on may 8th I'm sure that will catch some people by suprise. I'm going to wait to june 1 at least before my plants go in the ground.

one other thing it turns out the cultivar I'll be trying out is marianna's peace both jet star and matina have not germinated and I have two marianna's peace plants so I guess thats what I will be trialling.

have any of you who were going to try the Organic tomato magic method out gotten sprouts yet?

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi, My plants are starting to get a little bigger now (1" or so) but are still not close to transplant size. I plan on givingthem a fertilizer boost today. I'm also going to have a bit of problem becuse one of my marrianna's peace plant is slightly bigger then the other so I don't know which plant should be the OTM plant and which should get the normal treatment.

do to the fact that someone has been posting advertisments for Joyfultomato.com I thought a I'd post this "disclaimer"

DISCLAIMER
    I am NOT affiliated in anyway with Joyfultomato.com and I'm highly sceptical of th this method. however Im willing to "sacrifice a tomato plant to test if this pruning method works.

DLF

• gr8atweeds
    15 years ago

There is an element of truth in all this.
    I never pruned until I visited Oregon Heirlooms and noticed they pruned theirs. Not to the extremes mentioned here. I believe they always took off the small lower stems that were not going to produce fruit.
    Since then, I've seen a major improvement. I think OTM methods are just too extreme IMHO.

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, My tomatoes are doing great! I lost a super sweet 100 and a sophies choice plant but I picked up a 9" tall transsplant at lowes so I know have 1 sweet 100 plant in the round and the rest of my tomatoes are hardening off outside.

Anyway I hope I will have blooms in a couple more weeks so I can start the trimming.

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi, MY sweet 100 plant is about to open it's first bloom and the others are transplant size I will have blooms soon I hope I can't wait to see what happens I'll post some pictures soon. maybe after the leafhoppers are dead :)

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi, MY sweet 100 plant is about to open it's first bloom and the others are transplant size I will have blooms soon I hope I can't wait to see what happens I'll post some pictures soon. maybe after the leafhoppers are dead :)

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK here are some updated pictures from june 3rd. I'm getting ready to put both of the MP plants in the ground. my Sweet 100 is already flowering in it's garden spot.

the smaller MP has caght up to the other one and they are now the same size.

here are some pictures

june 3rd 2009

MP 1 and 2

Sweet 100

my other tomatoes

I know ther all leggy but thats what you get for keeping them inside while the leafhoppers were around.

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi, here's an update of my plant from the 14th

• larryj_2009
    14 years ago

My plants have 3 or 4 bloom clusters now (and 2 thumb sized fruits), I've always pruned bottom branches and suckers, my father always said you'd get fewer but larger tomatoes and the plants would be healthier throughout dry summer weather.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH