Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plate_gw

Sunshine Pro planting mix & potting soil

plate
14 years ago

Anyone here has experience with these products?

{{gwi:1303402}}

{{gwi:1303403}}

Thanks

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

For what use? Containers?

If so then while it has been years since I used any Sunshine stuff, their potting mix used to be ok. Had an fairly good reputation among growers - not the best but ok. Of course the mix recipe could have changed a great deal since then.

Potting soil - like any potting soil - should not be used in containers. It compacts way too much and drains poorly. You can use it as an additive to other stuff if you make your own mix, but not straight.

JMO

Dave

PS: for container mixes be sure to check the Container Gardening forum if you haven't already.

• homertherat
    14 years ago

We used Sunshine #1 and #2 mix in the school greenhouse and it worked great. #1 was used for starting seeds and then we would transplant the seedlings to #2 mix and up-pot them with #2 as well. It worked great for that, but we never used it with containers. I don't know if it's the same stuff as what you posted, because it came in the 3.8 cu ft compressed bales.

At the nursery I interned at, we used 4 parts sunshine #2 mixed with 1 part perlite and 2 part peat moss (I think that was the ratio. Some plants had a different mix). That also worked great and some of these plants were to be sold the next season. I would recommend making your own mix if you plan on using it for a prolonged period.

• californian
    14 years ago

I have a McConkey catalog and they show six different types of Sunshine mix that come in compressed bales, and seven different types that come in loose fill bags, including some certified organic mix that use organic fertilizer and Yucca extract as the wetting agent. The compressed bale stuff is about the same price give or take a few dollars as Pro-Mix, wonder which is better?
    What price did your vendor have, and how many cubic feet in the bag?

• taz6122
    14 years ago

@ homertherat How can you up-pot without a container?

@ plate I wouldn't use it alone for anything but starting seeds. Mixed with perlite, sand and bark it could make a decent potting mix.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

No, but I have used Sunshine Mix #1 which contains

Canadian sphagnum peat moss
    Coarse grade perlite
    Gypsum
    Dolomitic lime
    long-lasting wetting agent

This has been my favorite for decades. Only recently have I switched to making my own mix because it is much cheaper.

See Sunshine and other potting mixes.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Regarding costs, it's simple. The sales price (when it is "on sale"), at Menards, of peat moss is about $6 for 2.2 cubic feet. The price of perlite is about the same (elsewhere). The cost of gypsum and dolomitic lime are negligible. Furthermore, I have found that gypsum and dolomitic lime are not needed if you use a fertilizer that contains sufficient amounts of Ca, Mg and S. Thus, the cost of making your own mix is about $2.73 per cubic foot. The cost of Sunshine Mix #1 is about $7.56 per cubic foot.

What do you call it when you have a fear of being a sucker, suckerphobia? What do you call it when you don't have a fear of being a sucker. Oh yah, "Sucker."

• plate
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your input!

For what use? Containers?

PS: for container mixes be sure to check the Container Gardening forum if you haven't already.

It's for potting up and later transplanting into the ground.

What price did your vendor have, and how many cubic feet in the bag?

It works out at about $2.25 per cubic ft.

It's cheaper than the Miracle Gro and Sta-Green from Lowes & Home Depot. I was wondering how they compare quality-wise.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts