Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linzelu100

Familiar w/ Double Helix Farms?

linzelu100
11 years ago

I recently found Double Helix Farms online and I am impressed with the unique tomatoes they carry. The beans are interesting too. Does anyone have experience buying from them? Daves Garden only has 3 reviews, but they are all positive.

Lindsey

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Lindsey, I know Steve W who owns Double Helix, very very well. I don't buy seeds form him but the fact is I don't buy seeds from any place, the last time being in 1997. Seeds just come to me.

But I do send Steve seeds varieties fo trial and if he likes them he lists them , and some are listed there. He also searches high and low for varieties not avaiable elsewhere as in hard to get.

At another message site each seed vendor has a dedicated thread for feed back, questions whatever, and the feedback from Double Helix is excellent.

I think Tania's site, which you've seen linked to here before has the most hard to find varieties, she sells seeds for over 600 varieties and has pages for over 6,000 varieties where lots of info about those varieties can be found and seed sources and pictures, if available.

Another place where you can find some hard to find varieties is Glecklerseedmen. And I know one other than myself, who posts here, has also sent varieties to Adam.

Summary? I wouldn't hesitate at all ordering seeds from Steve at Double Helix.

Carolyn

• linzelu100
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carolyn,

Thank you for your response. I am very jealous of all your seed saving friends that mail you seeds...so much so that you haven't had to buy any recently! My local gardner friends won't grow anything that isn't a hybrid. They swear they are superior. It makes it tuff to trade seeds :( But I have made a few seed trading friends online that I regularly keep in touch with.

It is too late to get tomato seeds started, but I am going to put an order in with DHF first, next year. I am so anxious to try some of their tomatoes...I'll be thinking about them all summer! I like his selection of pink oxhearts. I am going to try Tatiana's too. For the longest time, I didn't even know she sold seed.

I am not familiar with Glecklerseedmen. I had to google that one.

Thanks,
    Lindsey

• vagreenie
    11 years ago

Lindsey - Its is not to late! I always grow two batches of tomatoes about 6 weeks apart. : )

• helenh
    11 years ago

I ordered from Double Helix just this spring and was pleased with their service. The seeds I planted from them germinated and are growing in my basement. I will just have to see how I like the tomatoes. I think Happy Jack is one I bought there.