Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main Stem Missing?

Posted by pochunter 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 10:01

I have a plant that looks like it is missing it's main stem. Will it grow a new one and continue growing up?
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main Stem Missing?

Have you been removing suckers? If the plant's at all normal, sooner or later it will produce more suckers. Simply let one or more of them grow and you'll have a new main stem.

I was brought up to remove suckers -- pruning to one main stem -- but I soon realized I'd have more fruit if I let at least a few suckers grow (and the plant would probably be a bit shorter, which is a consideration for someone who's 5'2").

Some people believe suckers are evil/don't bear fruit/etc., but that's not true. Suckers are simply the tomato's way of growing branches.

o
I should also add

In case you're worried about not having suckers because you already removed the suckers, eventually the plant will send out more suckers at the same locations where you removed the first suckers. Tomatoes have a very strong will to survive.

o

I have removed the suckers but they were tiny when I removed them.

There is some new growth that just started where it looks like the main stem broke off. Hopefully it will be ok. My other plants look great!

Should I be concerned with the leaves curling up?

o

"Should I be concerned with the leaves curling up?"

Well, it looks like tomato leaf roll, which most of the time happens in response to some sort of stress. In this case, I'd guess the stress to be excessive pruning or the loss of the central stem. Generally it's nothing to worry about, but I'd lay off the pruning for a bit.

o
Main stem help?

My indeterminate is throwing out what looks to be many "main stems." How to prune? I've taken off all suckers ( as you can see one attempt removed the branch tip unfortunately). I'm using a trellis system this year but haven't yet tied up the main stem. should I tie up 3 or 4 ? This is my first year with the trellis! Thanks

o

It's difficult to tell what's going on there, dobieone, what with the mulch and the photo being upside-down.

But regardless, if this is a determinate, it shouldn't be pruned at all. Since I almost never grow determinates and cannot explain their growth pattern well, I will let someone else explain why.

Only indeterminates should be pruned (and only if there is a serious lack of space).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here