Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o

Posted by DaddyJax FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:04

First time posting and first time gardening.

My dad has a small farm in Michigan and brought down some tomatoes that my family went crazy over and we decided to give it a crack. We saved the last tomato and cut into quarters and planted it and viola! Then I noticed they were turning brown and yellow and then my research started(I know, bass ackwards). Now I have them in separate pots and started to water regularly and added some natural fertilizer. They are doing better but then I may have done it again, and the reason I am posting.
I went and bought a large whiskey barrel planter and put one or my dads tomatoes and a Bonnie Original and Improved Park's Whopper in the same container.
I asked the people at Lowe's and they said they would be fine but I would like to get some feedback from you all.
Is this ok?
Will I get a different tomato from the seeds that are produced from the fruit due to cross pollination?

Thank you for you help and patience

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie

This is the container.
The fertilizer is Jobe's Organic vegetable & tomato

Thanks again

o

First they need separate containers. The Parks Whopper alone will eventually take over that lone barrel. That is a good size for 1 plant, not 2 or 3.

Then, if we assume your Dad's variety is an open-pollinated one (non-hybrid) and since the PW and the Bonnie's Original are both hybrids, yes you may get some cross-pollination.

Move Dad's plant away from the other two as much as possible and read the FAQ here on how to prevent cross-pollination by bagging some of its blooms to keep the seeds true.

Of course if Dad's is also a hybrid then it is a moot question anyway.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on preventing crossing

o

Will I get a different tomato from the seeds that are produced from the fruit due to cross pollination?

If you're asking whether the plant grown from Dad's 2012 tomato will yield tomatoes just like that one: It depends whether Dad's plant was hybrid or open-pollinated. Do you know the variety name?

But if Dad's tomato was an open-pollinated variety and that particular fruit had been cross-pollinated with pollen from another variety on his farm, the tomatoes you get this summer might be quite different from the fruit you ate last year.

In any case, cross-pollination only affects the plants grown from the seeds of the fruit. So the fruit you'll get from Dad's plant this summer will all be true to the genes in that plant, regardless whether those flowers are pollinated with pollen from that plant or cross-pollinated with pollen from your Bonnie Original or Improved Park's Whopper or a neighbor's tomato. However, when you're talking about plants grown next year from the seeds of your 2013 fruit, it depends on whether those particular flowers are cross-pollinated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here