Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tough tomato skin and stink bugs?

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 10:40

I just read a post about Momotaro having tough skin. Does anyone know if that would stop stink bugs. They ruin my tomatoes every summer. I don't like tough skin but a stink bug resistant tomato would be worth it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tough tomato skin and stink bugs?

Helen, I've never heard of a tomato variety that had tough skins, or thin skins that stinkbugs couldn't penetrate and shoot in that poison that kills the cells under the skin leaving a white area and a yellow area on top of the skin.

Momotaro is called Tough Boy in Japan, but that name is after a folk hero in Japan and doesn't refer to tough skins.

However I did Google it and quite a few sites say tough skins which makes it more tolerant to cracking.

I've grown lots of varieties that had hard skins, the pre-1800 variety Roi Humberti comes to mind, and I have't the faintest idea if it was resistant to stinkbugs b'c having stinkbug problems is not an every year problem for my tomatoes.

So why not try it and plant two thin skinned varieties on either side of it and see what you get as to stinkbug problems.

Carolyn

o
RE: tough tomato skin and stink bugs?

Thanks Carolyn. I am trying cow peas as a trap crop and if that doesn't work at least they are good for soil improvement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here