Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Analysis Help

Posted by billyberue SW OHIO (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 10:40

I have a 700 sq. ft. tomato garden that I have planted for the last 12 years. I had a professional soil analysis done and it reccommended 3-4 lbs Nitrogen, 1.4 lbs Phosphate, and 3.9 lbs Potassium, all per 1,000 sq. ft. I know that mine would be 70% of that but what do I physically need to do to achieve this? Or will it be more time and money than it is worth as far as the results it could bring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Analysis Help

Are you wanting to be organic about it or are you OK with chemical fertilizer?

o

You will want to post this over on the Soil & Composting forum here too as this is the kind of issue that forum deals with daily.

As to what to provide to meet those requirements, there are many options available - both organic and non-organic and the costs range widely. But if you intend to continue gardening then yes, the time and money is well worth it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil forum

o

Billy, Your question and wording leave me a little unclear of what you want to know and the replys seem to reflect that uncertainty. If you are questioning the expenditure for fertilizer for a 700 sq. ft garden it just doesn't seem logical. More likely you are questioning how to obtain a fertilizer blend to adapt to the recommendation. To that end you need to be more specific in your test results but, in reality, you only need to be in the ballpark with the application.

Keep in mind that your Nitrogen recommendation is almost always based on crop needs rather than test results; Phosphorus recommendation is usually expressed as P2O5(phosphate) as you indicated but Potassium recommendation is almost always expressed as K2O rather than just K and that distinction can affect what you apply.

What you likely should be shopping for is a 3:1.5:4 ratio blend. In real life if you can find a 10:5:10 or even a 10:10:10 fertilizer and apply at the rate recommended for N you will be in the ballpark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here