Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gar99010

tomato name

gar99010
10 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a place to find a list of tomato variety names? I am trying to find out if there is a tomato called 'Marti'. (Marty may work, but it is in honor of my mother-in-law Marti.) Thank you.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Check out Tatiana's Tomatobase for one. There are several tomato databases available but that is a really good one.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatiana's

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

As close as I can get Martino's Roma available from Baker Creek.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Just to be fair Dill, there are over 10 places that sell seeds for Martino's Roma, not just Baker Creek.

If you look at the link below you'll see my name since I got seeds from Maureen Conway, really liked the variety and spread it far and wide after listing it in the SSE Yearbooks.

At the link one needs to click on Seed Availability to see the list of companies selling seeds for it.

If only a few seeds are needed perhaps Pinetree might be the place to go, they sell few seeds for a lower price.

But it's no bargain to order just one variety from any place b'c of shipping costs however low those costs might be.There's lots of other stuff at Pinetree that one can buy other than tomato seed which might help.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Martino's Roma

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Ventmarin (a French database with 14,000+ varieties) lists a Marti 51, which they describe as:

Variété signalée par la banque de gènes du Canada.
    http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/tomates_m/tomates_m.htm

I'd translate that as "Variety reported by the seed bank of Canada." And here is their page for it:
    http://www.seeds.ca/hpd/cv.php?qtype=source&species=Tomato&sodc=NULL&commerce=NULL&genebank=NULL&action=Go

So while there may not be a plain Marti variety, for clarity's sake you could always name your mil's tomato Marti's something.

Ventmarin also lists a Marty, a Marta Hybrid, and a Marte Hybrid.

I also looked in two huge German tomato databases, TolleTomaten and Tomatensorten. The former didn't have a variety named Marti; the latter got stuck and wouldn't give me an answer. You could try again here:
    http://www.ethno-botanik.org/Tomaten/Tomatensorten.html

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

The problem is that Christian, who owns Ventmarin, does NOT sell seeds.And does not indicate seed sources.

One needs to go to Tomodori, and they don't sell seeds either, but will often name a source, but most of the time send you back to Ventmarin for variety information.

The Canadian Seed bank, I think, still has some restrictions on access.

I took a quick look in an SSE YEarbook and came up with Martian Giant, but that has the same prefix as Martino's Roma, which is available to the public, which the former is not.

In a special situation or two I have in the past requested a variety from the Yearbook for someone else, if I knew the person listing it, but I no longer do that b'c the Yearbook is not a seed catalog.

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I read the OP as someone wanting to name a new variety rather than finding one that already had that name. In other words he wanted to make sure there wasn't already one named that.

Sorry to be so far off base.

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Dave, I could read that first post both ways, as in looking for a variety called Marti, etc,. or wanting to name a currently unnamed variety Marti or Marty, etc.

Hopefully gar will clarify that for us,

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yeah . If he wants HONOR his mother in law, has to create his own hybrid or whatever. So probably he does not want a duplicate name.

• PupillaCharites
    10 years ago

Hi Carolyn, Dave and seysonn.

I can contribute this tidbit, that gar is looking to buy a variety right now, not develop a special variety (though the thought of bestowing such an honor may suddenly start a tricky and healthy longer term compulsion in anyone with the resources to become a breeder), based on their comment in the rose forum trying to buy Mart* named rose seeds or cutting.

I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello (this is my second post). Hope to learn some stuff here from you tomato enthusiasts or obsessed and I'm excited as Spring in the air with a hankering to grow a few plants to try for slice-of-bread-covering-sized slices from tasty large ones.