Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start using Miracle-Gro?

Posted by Maynard1980 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 11:02

My tomatoes and pepper seedlings were planted about two months ago, and while all are healthy, many of them seem a bit small and don't seem to be getting as big as others I have growing. Are they still too young for Miracle-Gro, and would that even help them?

Also, if you are an organic gardener and hate Miracle-Gro, please refrain from commenting and lecturing me on how evil it is. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start using Miracle-Gro?

I would not go more than half strength with it for a few weeks. Going full strength on small plants can, and usualy does burn the roots. I use MG Tomato fertilizer at full strength two weeks after transplants in the garden recover from transplant shock.

For my seedlings up to the time I harden them I use a half strength diluted Bonnie Fertilizer that is 8-4-4. All look healthy so far.

o

But, but....My friend did a taste test with MG toms and those without and the 'withouts' won.

o

Way past time.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 15:53

But, but....My friend did a taste test with MG toms and those without and the 'withouts' won.

That is the opinion of one person's taste buds. One could just as easily find 50 people who would claim the MG plants won.

Either way it is hardly a valid argument against MG.

Dave

o

For the plants it make no difference what the source of N, P, K, Ca, Mg, Fe, Zn,... ETC is. That is where I depart with the organic purists when it comes to fertilizers. But, no harm done, do as you like and want in your garden.
I believe organic fertilizing is more of a concern for the environment rather than for the plants. THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 22:57

I'd give them half-strength MG. You'll see the difference.
And if you can foliar feed, even better. I'd do that for
a couple of weeks and then go full strength.

Loved the organic gardener/MG hater comment. You're
a man (I think) after my own heart.

o

I agree with you seysson. All of those in your list are chemical elements. N is N is N, period!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here