Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleo88_gw

has anyone had their cat eat their seedlings?

cleo88
15 years ago

Hi,

Our indoor cat has been known to munch on various houseplants, though infrequently. I am wondering if anyone has had problems with their cat(s) eating or otherwise messing with their seedlings. I am also a little concerned because I think the nonfruit parts of the plant are poisonous to some degree.

Comments (14)

• slo_garden
    15 years ago

My cats have given the seedlings a good sniff down, but haven't had any interest in taking a bite. Biggest problem has been them flicking the seedlings with their tails.

• greenmulberry
    15 years ago

I haven't had my cats eat my tomato seedlings, because I haven't given them the chance, I keep the seedlings in a spare room, door closed.

My cats ate a basil plant I had on the porch, and then promptly threw it up on the white rug. I just don't trust them around my precious mater seedlings.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Not eat seedling, but 2 years ago I had a cat that decided my propagaton bed in the basement was a litterbox!

• tomatoes4ever
    15 years ago

YES!!! And he was promptly banished to Florida to live with my parents. Just kidding.

Seriously though, One of my cats ate the top off all my tomato seedling one year. I think I cried.

The next year, Buddy, my ginger tabby, knocked my tray of seedlings onto the floor (they were on the kitchen counter). I think I cried. And I know I screamed at him alot. He deserved it! They all got mixed up and I had plant them blind. Since I didn't know which was which I didn't get one from each variety like I hoped.

• cleo88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's my possible culprit - sometimes naughty but always beautiful and sweet.

• geeboss
    15 years ago

A light spray of [Hot pepper spray] might have them checking something else to eat. Our neighborhood cat likes to help himself to my plants searching for voles and the like and on occasion took a bite out of a plant that had hot pepper spray and now avoids eating the plants around the house. Hot Pepper spray was for the chipmunks and squirrels.

George

• chellestar83
    15 years ago

I have a very inteligent and extremely jealous cat! He watches enviously as I give my seedlings attention. One year I went on a week long trip and when I came home I found my tomato seedlings ripped out of the soil and lying on the floor (he didn't even want to eat them, he just wanted to get back at me for leaving him for a week). So now I don't leave him alone with the toms.

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I have also have a beautiful and sweet cat - two actually. They have waited until I thoroughly trusted they'd leave the seedlings alone and then munched them down. The "best" time this happened was the day before the seedlings were to be transplanted in the ground. The cats left the plants alone for 3 months, then the day before the blessed planting day, the seedlings became tasty cat treats; only to be regurgitated, a short time later, onto my carpet. Now I keep the plants safe from the felines, also in a guest room with the door closed. I have a table next to a south facing window for a seed starting, heating mat, and found the lid slightly off, crushing quite a few precious sprouts. The cats seem to think this heating mat is for their comfort...

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Tomato, my cat's name is Buddy also!

Grey tabby he is, never jumps on tables or countertops.

It was Lilly, his Mom who used the prop bed as a litter box and was banished to a never plant from seed household.

However, Buddy does love to jump on my blue fescue around the foundation plantings, they are all squashed down.

He is the best squirrel, mouse, vole, mole and chipper chaser

• noinwi
    15 years ago

Yup, they're interested in anything new and anything they see you fussing over. After all, you're only supposed to be fussing over THEM!
    Here's a related thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: how do you cat-proof?

• cleo88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

noinwi, thanks for the link to "how do you cat-proof" - I actually did a search on "cat" before I posted, but I didn't see that thread because I mostly got a bunch of stuff on tomatoes that catface! :)

• Sandra
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Recently my cats ate all the tops off my seedlings! I was shocked and so disappointed. They were seranno peppers and tomato plants. Now, they are dead. Darn cats!

• Donna R
    2 years ago

One of my cats eats tomato seedlings, the other eats peppers, sweet and hot...I have wrapped my plants stand in plastic, tarps, insulation material..they always get in! Only way around it for me is to move plant stand into a room they can't get into, then when I put them in windowsills, all go into rooms that I can shut the door. It involves lugging water, but better than no plants!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH