Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloody Butcher vs 4th of July

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 11:47

Trying to choose a replacement for Early Girl in this years garden. Thinking either 4th of July or Bloody Butcher. Anyone have an opinion of either or both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloody Butcher vs 4th of July

early girl has always been a great producer for me, but this year I'm trying Bloody Butcher. hope to hear from a few members here that have grown BB in the past.

o

I am also replacing EG with Bloody Butcher. I have read a lot of good reviews on BB. I have also read conflicting reports on 4th of July , sometimes called Independence Day. But I have not grown it/them myself.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 14:21

Have tried both and much prefer BB. In my garden it produces earlier, has more production, and tastes better - at least as good as any early can taste.

If you search both here by name you'll find several previous discussions about both if interested.

Dave

o

I agree with Dave and having grown both, BB does taste better to me and has thinner skin as I recall. I usually grow 4th of July Hybrid also because it seems to be bullet proof in the heat and as the old saying goes, any homegrown tomato is better than store bought!

o

My Bloody Butcher plants are coming along fine (March 20):

photo IMG_2745_zps997de53b.jpg

Initial flowering now:

photo IMG_2747_zps078f15fb.jpg

Hopefully by mid-May, they will be in production.

Raybo

o

Nice, Raybo,
You already have flowers. I thinks it takes about 30 days from flower to ripe tomato. When did you germinate and when did you plant out ?

o

Started seeds January 5; planted out February 15. Very mild Winter / Spring here this year.

Raybo

o

Thanks Raybo. It is likey that DTM = 60 days. That sound pretty good. On the package it says 55 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here