Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optimum tomato-growing temperature

Posted by chrisms MS z8a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 11:55

Is it in the mid-80s? What's the best temperature for growing the largest beefsteaks? Where I live, there's no point in growing them because of the heat. The same goes with big bell peppers. God bless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optimum tomato-growing temperature

Here in RI temp can get as high as 105* but that will be in a special day. I know tomato plants don't do well after 90* so i recommend planting them in a cool place the right time of season. So maybe spring is the right time for you?. I don't know, but some shade and some soil protection to keep them cool in the 80s will work well in very hot climate. Make sure to collect rain water and in your case add them cooler than the outside temp assuming is over 90* average. good luck!

o

I to am trying to figure out the optimal tomato-growing temp. Last year was my first year growing and I had both a spring/summer crop and a summer/fall crop with the spring/summer one being more successful.
My plants grew pretty good in the summer, especially my summer/fall transplants, with highs in the mid and upper 90's and lows only in the low 80's/high 70's. My problem was getting fruit to set with such high temps. I've read you need to get in the low 70's for fruit to set. My plants were blooming like crazy in early September and they were 5 or 6 feet tall, but it was too hot for them to set fruit. Once it did cool off, in late Sept, early Oct., the sun was also diminishing in my growing area and growth really dropped off.
This year I am experimenting with mulch to keep the soil temps at the optimum temp. I'm holding off on the mulch now because it's still pretty cool. I'll load it on in a few weeks though.
Maybe I should put a thin layer of mulch on now, but I'm unsure?
If I had to pick an optimal tomato temp though, I would say daytime highs in the mid and upper 80's and nightime lows in the mid and upper 60's. Unfortunately, I think those temps only last about 6 weeks where I'm at.

Pete

o

Since I live in the woods, one thing I do to try to get soil temps up early is burn off the leaves from the garden site.

Once risk of prolonged freezing is over, 6" of oak leaves are placed (as if I need to "place" them :-) and burnt off. It doesn't get hot enough to kill the soil but it makes the top black as your old hat.

o

I find my tomatoes ( big beef, cherokee purple, black seamen , burpee delicious, and florida pink .) all hit there chi (you can tell when things are just right with all them )is at a temp of 77 night and 87 day and at 82 day and 72 night.

I have noticed best gain in growth , measuring from 10:30 am to 10:30 am , during those two temp ranges , with the 82 72 temp range slightly performing better.but production was about the same for both temp ranges, but i like the way the plants looked at the 82/72 temp range best.

the plants them selves looked much much more alive if u know what i mean , the turgor of the plant was crisper u could just see the water flowing inside the plant .

they looked juciyer if u know what i mean.

leaf viens where very distinct and plant tissue was noticably thicker .

just my 2 cents.

P.S. may all your tomatoes tastes like heaven.

o

Great

o

When the temp rises above about 92*, you may have flowers start to abort. Inspect your plants after the next heatwave (2-3 days later). You will notice flowers that burn off at the first knuckle behind the bloom. This is typically at the top of plant and or south/western side. About 6 weeks after the damage is done, it will show up in the yield. A Solstice heatwave around June 21st Northern Hemisphere

o

2/2 Cont.

Will show up August 8-12th. That is not uncommon for us to have an off week picking tomatoes around that time.

Overhead Irrigation during the heat of the day (11am-3pm) can help a lot. I even leave sprinklers going over the whole greenhouse tying to keep things cooler.

o

Gulf coast MS can grow tomatoes just fine. You should be planting them now. I don't know why you would think you can't grow them. if you want large tomatoes, try Omar's Lebanese, Zogola, Mortgage lifter, or many others.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here