Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Looking for a good paste tomato

I like using paste tomatoes in salads, which ones do you think have the best flavor to use this way.

Comments (20)

• Salix1
    13 years ago

San Marzano in my humble opinion, they are a bit bigger then romas, very great taste for a paste type tomato

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Very few paste tomatoes are noted for their taste but they are noted for their tendency to chronic BER problems. However some suggestions that have been made in the many previous discussions of this question include San Marzano as mentioned above, Opalka, Heidi, Mama Leone, and Martino's Roma.

As an alternative to pastes you might want to consider some of the many heart (aka oxheart) varieties or even one of the many great cherry varieties.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Best paste variety

• natal
    13 years ago

I prefer cherry tomatoes in salads, but I grow a few Viva Italias every year to use in sauces and for roasting (favorite way to eat them!)

Oven-roasted paste tomatoes & goat cheese bruschetta:

{{gwi:91162}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link digdirt, it's a little late to start seeds so I'll be looking for plants this year. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find San Marzano but next year I'll start my own, I was pretty sure I'd get some good recommendations here :). It's a toss up whether we'll get a good tomato year so I always start my plants early, grow and pot them on, sometimes it's July before they go out. Any variety has to be better then you can buy in the supermarket, maybe I'll grow an Oxheart as well.

Annette

Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal, you just had to go and post that picture, now I've got drool all over my keyboard, how lip smacking good lookin is that.
    Note to self... this is a must when I have my own tomatoes, Oooops here comes the drool again :).

Annette

• natal
    13 years ago

Annette, you don't have to wait for your own. Even those pathetic grocery store tomatoes can be transformed into a magical treat! I roast them in the dead of winter.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Annette,
    Rinaldo.
    Remy

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Remy, sounds like a good one :).

Annette

• John A
    13 years ago

Annette - I'm surprised that you think it's too late to start seed in B.C. You must have a later season than I do in CT, and I usually start mine the 1st week in April. Opalka is my favorite paste tomato.
    John A

• MeLikeOkra
    13 years ago

One of my favorites that I havent seen mentioned on here is Black Prince. Full of flavor that is really best after being boiled, baked or grilled.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Two more to add to my list, Black Prince and Opalka, thanks guys. Fingers crossed I have a better growing season this year.

Annette

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

San Marzano or Amish Paste would be my reccomendations.

• rxkeith
    13 years ago

annette,

i don't remember if i sent you some of my uncle steve italian plum seeds with the bean seeds last year, if i did give them a try. they are a good multi use tomato. if i didn't, i can send you some.

keith

• seysonn
    13 years ago

What make a tomatoe to qualify for the adjective PASTE?
    Isn't that it has less juice and more meat ?
    If you are growing them for commercial purposes (to make paste and sell) then it make sense, like HEINZ company goes into a great extent and develops a tomato just for that purpose, regardless of taste, color...
    But as a home gardener, we want a tomato that is flavorful and requires less efforts and energy to reduce it. For that, there are ways. For example cut the tomato into halves and squees the juice(and seeds) out and then boil it. But I have found a better and more energy efficient way:
    After regular preparation, bring the batch to boil so that the tomato chunks soften and break apart. With a hand held blender, blend it real well and then strain it through a fine meshed steel straner and get the seeds and pupl out.
    Now here comes the trick: You have a bag made of a tightly woven strong cotten fabric. Pour the must into the bag, either hang it or rest it in a strainer. Depending on how thick you want your paste, let the juic/water sip out.
    This way you dont need to boil it for hours and waste energy.

• jolj
    13 years ago

Natal what temperature for roasting & how long at said heat.
    Thank for the loooong list of tomatoes, everyone.

• tom8olvr
    13 years ago

OPALKA

Original Author
    13 years ago

Keith, you've got mail :).

Annette

• edible
    13 years ago

I like the Opalka as well. Go to thetastefulgarden.com and you can order plants there, or just read their descriptions. I have been buying plants from them for many years and while they are a lilttle more expensive they are some of the best that I have ever had, (grown larger and produce better than others I have purchased).

• popdo
    13 years ago

Polish Linguisa, it's indeterminate, tastes awsome, grows large tomatos, have few seeds, and is very meaty. Awsome for pasta sauce.

Original Author
    13 years ago

My list is growing, thanks everyone :).

Annette