Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Abbreviations - List ?

Posted by mewhee (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 12:08

Hi All -

Am relatively new to the forum so pls. forgive me if this has been covered before but couldn't find it w/ the Growing Tomatoes search engine.

Is there a list of the common abbreviations you all use here in the forum for both varieties (such as AGG for Aunt Gertie's Gold or KB for Kellogg's Breakfast) and plant diseases/pests?

TIA for any help or links -

Will and The Fur Crew in So Cal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Abbreviations - List ?

There is no official list.

If there were, you can imagine how freakin' long it would be with thousands of tomato varieties in circulation!

And yes, simply referring to a tomato in a typed message by two or three initials leaves most readers completely clueless as to what to the writer is referring.

The easiest and most courteous way for the writer to fix the issue would be to write the full name of the variety out in the first mention, followed by the initials in parentheses for the moniker to be used through the rest of the message. Example: "Aunt Ruby's German Green (ARGG) is a good, heirloom, green when ripe (GWR) tomato."

This is the way most professional writers would do it and the way you find it done in other fields of study. Then the reader would know what ARGG when she or he encountered it throughout the rest of the discussion.

o

And if some us forget from time to time to define our abbreviations, whether for tomato varieties or otherwise, just ask the poster politely what variety it refers to or what any other abbreviation refers to.

And pretty soon you too might well be using those abbreviations yourself.( smile)

Carolyn

o

I've seen a few initials used in listing tomatoes but they refer to disease tolerance, such as VFN (V is for Verticulum and F is for Fusilliam - spelling may be wrong - and I would have to look up the N).

Mike

o

Mike, I think we're talking about abbreviations such as:

KB, Kellogg's Breakfast
KBX, KB PL ( potato leaf as opposed to RL ( regular leaf)
NAR, Neves Azorean Red
LPB, Large Pink Bulgarian
CP, Cherokee Purple
CG, Cherokee Green
CC, could be Cherokee Chocolate or Champagne Cherry but in the context of the post it's usually clear which one.

....and on and on. LOL

And tomato problems such as

BER, Blossom End Rot
EB, early blight (caused by A. solani)
LB, Late Blight ( caused by P. infestans)

......and many more

And yes, tomato disease tolerances for hybrids and some OP's which are almost always defined at the better sites,such as:

V, Verticillium
F, Fusarium and three races so F, FF , FFF referring to those 3 different ones which show no cross tolerance
N, Root Knot Nematodes
T, Tobacco Mosaic Virus

and many more.

it's the variety abbreviations that many of us use without even thinking about it that certainly CAN be confusing to others new to the area and some NOT new as well, so as I said above, if the abbreviation isn't known to someone and not defined , just ask.

Carolyn, as in CJM, ( smile)

o

Thx Carolyn, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

And thx to hoosiercherokee for the following suggestion:

>simply referring to a tomato in a typed message by two or three initials leaves most readers completely clueless as to what to the writer is referring. The easiest and most courteous way for the writer to fix the issue would be to write the full name of the variety out in the first mention, followed by the initials in parentheses for the moniker to be used through the rest of the message.<

Hey, with help like this, some of us newbies to the group may actually be able to contribute something useful to others ;-)

Again - Thx!

Will and the Fur Crew
~~~~~
Chance favors the prepared mind.
- Pasteur

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here