Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

bhn 444 vs bhn 640

I am going to be growing BHN 640 in my high tunnel. I know of another gardener, in the area, who grew BHN 444 on a large scale in hoop buildings and was very successful. He said he was thinking of growing BHN 640. I have not been able to talk to him. Has anyone grown BHN 640 in a hoop building or outside? How did they preform? How do they compare to BHN 444?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

I am going to be growing BHN 640 in my high tunnel. I know of another gardener, in the area, who grew BHN 444 on a large scale in hoop buildings and was very successful. He said he was thinking of growing BHN 640. I have not been able to talk to him. Has anyone grown BHN 640 in a hoop building or outside? How did they preform? How do they compare to BHN 444?

I haven't grown either one and don't plan to but I'm curious as why you're considering them.

Most folks I know have said that taste is lacking with all the BHN's cuurently being offered but grow some of them either b'c they have tolerance to Spotted Wilt Disease Virus, both do, or if they know that they have race 3 of Fusarium as a problem in their particular area, and there aren't too many areas where Race 3 of Fusarium is currently a problem. Most F infections are with races 1 and 2. Other than that they have the standad tolerances that lots of hybrids have. And there are other hybrids with race 3 tolerance.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are multiple different reasons. These are not the only tomatos I am growing in my hoop house. I tasted his tomatos and I thought they were good, not great or even spectacular just good. Better than the ones in the store, in my opinion. Since he had success with them in my area, I thought it would be a good place to start. Also, I have read that the 640 has a better flavor than the 444. In addition I have had some problems with the Spotted Wilt disease.

Thanks for the answers.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

have read that the 640 has a better flavor than the 444

For better flavor check out BHN 589 b'c it was supposedly bred for better flavor.

Carolyn, who is somewhat surprised to find that Spotted Wilt Virus is now in Kansas b'c I hadn't heard that from others in the area. Nasty disease.

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

Where tomato spot wilt virus (TSWV) is a problem, the grower pretty much has to rely on resistant varieties coupled with an integrated pest management program including maybe reflective silver mulch, spraying insecticides, and preventing/removing other TSWV-hosting weeds and cultivars from which thrips can vector the disease.

Here are some other hybrid tomatoes that show TSWV resistance:

"Amelia" (Harris Morana) medium early, medium to large fruit with good color. Growers say Amelia tastes better than BHN 444. An aggressive determinate that actually requires some pruning to produce higher quality market fruit.

"BHN 640" medium early, medium to large fruit that growers say has smoother fruit with better color than BHN 444.

"Bella Rosa" I had a seedsman tell me this one is the tomato to grow if you can't get Amelia.

"Mountain Glory" new product from Rogers/Syngenta and apparently is the TSWV-resistant version of Mountain Spring producing large and jumbo size fruit with good color, smooth shape with nearly no blossom end scar.

"Sophya" (got some from Totally Tomatoes) and "Bolseno" (Johnny's Selected Seed sells it) are Italian indeterminate hybrids with TSWV-resistance.

"Crista" (Harris Moran) is another one that shows resistance or intermediate resistance to TSWV.

And here is an interesting one ... Top Gun Look at that article where it says, "Top Gun can be grown in a container or in the ground and has similar qualities as a Patio Tomato, but produces a larger fruit and has additional positive attributes ..."

• atascosa_tx
    16 years ago

My father and I have grown bhn 444's for years and have always
    been satisfied with the production and taste..some of them get really big...sandwich slicers..
    as far as the 640 version...can't say much..I never grew it but a neighbor did one year..just for kicks we did a taste test..the 640 did have more of a balanced taste compared to the 444 but even so...both tasted better than anything you can buy in the grocery store by far.
    In my opinion both taste great. Grow Both.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Arascosa_tx- Thanks for the taste testing thoughts.

HoosierCherokee- Thanks for the information. I looked Amelia before, but I haven't tried it.

Carolyn- Maybe I did or didn't have TSWV in my tomatoes.

I made the self diagnosis from this:
    http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/tomswv.htm

I got rid of the plant and disinfected the cage.

• garyjoe
    16 years ago

I grew both last year and they are very close to the same with the exception that the BHN 444's were somewhat larger. I'm going with Top Gun and Mountain Spring this year along with the BHN varities. TSWV has taken its toll in my area and growing these varieties have been the difference of night and day. Twilley seed co. noted Top Gun as the best TSPV tolerant variety to date.

Garyjoe

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

GaryJoe,

Top Gun sounds really interesting. I ordered 3 packs early last week from Twilley's. The lady who took the order said it's becoming popular in Carolina. She said it has texture and flavor superior to other TSWV-resistant cultivars. It supposedly has rugose foliage and erect growing habit similar to Homestead 24. Also, it's a heat-setting type. All sounds good to me, and I eagerly await arrival of the seeds as it's time to plant for sure!