Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foose4string

Summer Salsa

foose4string
14 years ago

Ok, I admit it. I'm a sucker for the Burpee seed racks. Each season I pick up at least one new(or possibly rebadged) variety....at least, new to me. Year or two ago it was Porterhouse. Another time it was Big Momma. This year the lucky candidate happens to be Summer Salsa. The pic on the front looks like a typical paste tomato, bearing a strong resemblance to Roma. Anyone grown this variety and can relay their experience?

Comments (13)

• homegardenpa
    14 years ago

Are you sure of the name? I checked Burpees site, but only saw a variety called "Fresh Salsa" which looked like a fairly typical paste tomato. I've never grown it personally. Were you planning on using it for possibly... making fresh salsa? :)

If so, on the topic of salsa *daydreams of warm temps and ripe tomatoes*, I don't typically use paste types for fresh salsa. It may be a little messier, and a little more work (only because I prefer to keep seeds to a minimum), but I use a mix of the better tasting varieties from my garden - mostly beefsteak types - and it's always delicious. You may have to strain a little juice off, but my family and friends never complained; They do get angry with me if they don't get a batch or two during the summer months though, hehe.

This year I'm growing Opalkas and plan on possibly using them as a good part of the mix, we'll see how things pan out... Hopefully we won't get the horrible, miserable, non-stop rains we got last year.

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You had me doubting myself so I went and double checked the seed pack. They are definitely labeled "Summer Salsa".

Yes, I intend to use them primarily in salsa. My Roma bushes produced like crazy last year. I happily used them for fresh salsa, but like you, I mix in whatever else might happen to be ripe at the time. Often, it's beefsteak varieties which lend a nice tomato~y flavor.

I have tried Opalka on two different occasions and have not been able to produce the same results as most have. Which I happen to think is by no fault of my own. The plant characteristics and fruit description have not shown any resemblance to what I've gotten. The seed was from Sandhill in '06 which is supposed to be a reputable supplier, so I'm not sure what's going on. It's been a couple years since I tried the variety. And to be fair, the last time I grew it, I only planted one sport. I think I'll give it another shot this year...but I'm not too optimistic. Might need to try another source or trade from someone here who is sure what they've got!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Burpee lists 'Fresh Salsa' as new for this year so if you choose to grow it likely you'll be one of the first. And yes, from the info provided about it, it appears to be just another re-named roma type tomato with a hyper ad writer, who probably doesn't know one tomato from another, writing its copy.

Don't know if you are aware or not of the growing boycott of Burpee products for a number of reasons? But there are much better sources of seeds out there if you ever want to expand your horizons. ;) If not, that's fine too.

Dave

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Burpee is not the only source I've used over the years....so I think my horizons have already been expanded, lol! I'm a huge fan of Brandyboy and I'm not aware of any other source for that variety. I'm sure you'll tell me to grow Brandywine instead(and I have... Sudduth's included), or a host of other heirlooms as a substitute, but I'm not giving Brandyboy up anytime soon.

As I stated in a previous post, I've ordered from Sandhill in the past, plus Heirloom Seeds, and TGS. If you have reasons for boycotting Burpee, that's fine too. I know they Burpee is popular on GW(more importantly, on the Tomato forum)...and that heirlooms garner the most support and discussion around here. Heck, the queen bee(and many others) do not hide her feelings in that regard and are wonderful advocates on the subject. But, I'm not sure I'll be jumping on that GW bandwagon anytime soon, but thanks for thinking of me!

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was supposed to read, "...that Burpee is NOT popular on GW"

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Dave: Dude, I haven't heard about the Burpee boycoot? What's going on? Have a link where I can read about it? =)

- Steve

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I've ordered from Sandhill in the past, plus Heirloom Seeds, and TGS. If you have reasons for boycotting Burpee, that's fine too. I know they Burpee is popular on GW(more importantly, on the Tomato forum)...and that heirlooms garner the most support and discussion around here.

Ok- your horizons are fine. ;) I too like Brandy Boy and it is a high demand transplant from my customers too so I have to deal with them for it. But that's it.

But this particular product is a good example of one of the problems with Burpee. As already mentioned, they don't list "Summer Salsa" in their catalog or online. But they do list "Fresh Salsa". Still I found this picture of Burpee's Summer Salsa tomato seeds for sale so clearly at one time they did offer this variety.

Yet it is pictured in their 2007 style seed packet style yet supposedly packaged for 2010. Want to bet it is (a) the same tomato seed they just renamed yet again so they could market it as something new and wonderful, (b) old seed and/or old packets brought out of storage to be re-sold this year as new, or (c) some other common roma variety surrounded by Burpee hype and re-labeling.

It isn't just GW that slams them and it has nothing to do with hybrids vs. heirlooms (I grow both). Check out any of the other online gardening forums and you'll read the same things. There has been so much complaining about them that many chains switched to Ferry-Morse seeds this year instead of Burpeee.

Bottom line - you never know what you are going to get from Burpee and new, inexperienced gardeners are getting misled as a result.

At any rate, since you have already bought the seeds you might as well grow it but like so many of their varieties I'll bet next year it will be called something else. ;)

Dave

Steve - all you have to do is search 'Burpee' and read through the discussions.

• anney
    14 years ago

I think Burpee may be offering seeds for sale on store racks that are being discontinued. I thought this earlier when I bought some geraniums named the "Paint Box Mix" for $1.19 yesterday. But when I went online after getting home, they apparently don't offer that series any more, though I've seen reference to it in years past. Or maybe they've renamed it. You can't tell by the pictures!

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm well aware of Burpee's marketing strategies, misnomers, and attempts at deceit. But fact is, I think most consumers at the big box stores could care less if they are being duped into buying something when it comes to such a small purchase. As long as the picture of the fruit and growing time matches the package, the seed germinates and grows into a mature plant, then most people will be satified with their purchase. We have to remember that we Garden Webbers are in the minority- those who are actually concerned with the subtle differences in name or plant type. Now, if the average joe got a huge beefsteak or cherry variety in their "Salsa" pack, then it would probably raise more concern. I would agree that it does make cataloging these varieties extremely difficult and throws a wrench in all the hard work that Dr. Carolyn has done over the years. But a buck and some change for a fun experiment is hardly worth stewing over, but I DO know where you are coming from!

• korney19
    14 years ago

Their SunGolds tasted NOTHING like the real SunGold! Beware!

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Their SunGolds tasted NOTHING like the real SunGold! Beware!"

Did you grow the two side by side, under the same growing conditions?

• korney19
    14 years ago

No, but if you were here last year, you'd have seen the thread. Actually, YES, I had 2 Sungold plants side-by-side, plus another couple at a friend's house in the suburbs. The tomatoes weren't as orange colored as other years or other suppliers, the taste wasn't the same and someone else commented they had gold, apricot and even red colored cherries from the same pack! All of us had Burpee branded packs of Sun Gold.

Ironical was the fact that my buddy at location #2 bought the SunGold seeds, and when we were planting them, I was joking to him that they were fake Sungolds, that you can tell by the spelling! I was just kidding him and lo and behold, they turned out terrible! Others had similar problems with the Burpee branded seeds too.

• foose4string
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of cherry types....I never really found a liking to the taste. In fact, this year will be the first time growing them. My daughter like cherry tomatoes, so I threw in a few Super Sweet 100's for her. I have been curious about SunGold just because so many here rave about them. Thanks for the heads up on the Burpee Sungolds....in the event I ever do get around to trying them!