Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting up ?

Posted by Digginlife 6ny (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 13:10

Hi all ...I'm potting up my tomato seedlings I had started in coconut coir to solo cups ...my ? is Im using miracle potting mix moisture control should I add pelite to the mix? how much? also should I leave the coir around the roots or try and shake as much off? When should I start fertilizing and with what? Thanks for any info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting up ?

is Im using miracle potting mix moisture control should I add pelite to the mix?

No reason to add it. But take great care with watering with that particular mix. It tends to keep the soil in small containers too wet. Some have posted that even in extremely large containers it keeps the soil too wet.

also should I leave the coir around the roots or try and shake as much off?

If you can remove most of it easily without risking damage to the plant or roots, do so. In the few I have tried I found it easy to do. If not, leave it. Just make sure any paper or net wrapping around the pellets is removed.

When should I start fertilizing and with what?

You'll find many discussions here about this and much more info over on the Growing from Seed forum here. It even has a FAQ on the subject.

There is no real consensus on feeding seedlings except that if it is done it should only be done with a well-diluted fertilizer, never full strength. 1/4-1/2 strength is often recommended as the dilution. Some never feed them, some feed the dilution weekly.

But since your potting mix already has some nutrients in it unless it is going to be a long time until they go to the garden I don't see why you should have to feed them anything.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave for all the info ..I really appreciate it .I got most of my repotting done today ....Ill be sure to check out the fertilizer threads in a few weeks . Sooo excited first seedlings for me :)

o

• Posted by uncle_t Z6 Ontario CAN (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:20

Hi there, Digginlife.
Miracle potting mix moisture control specs from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/landscaping-supplies/scotts/moisture-control-potting-mix-64-qt-53930.html

"...the potting mix continues to feed your plants for up to 6 months. MicroMax nutrients help grow hearty, vigorous plants."

Sounds like no fertilizer needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here