Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johncrane1

General Hydroponics for Garden

Azjohn
10 years ago

I have a quantity of General Hydroponics Flora Series fertilizer I would like to use in my garden. In particular I would like to use it for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

I have a number of SWC's and also raised beds. Any suggestions would REALLY be appreciated!

Thanks ........... John

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not familiar with the product. Can you link to it or at least provide the nutrient rating/contents and the label instructions for dilution and application rates?

Dave

• Azjohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops. Here is the product I'm interested in using as I have a lot of it I purchased for Hydroponics.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/flora_series/

• abnorm
    10 years ago

It's a 3-part fertilizer....N-P-K

FloraGro is 2-1-6

FloraMicro is 5-0-1

FloraBloom is 0-5-4

Perfectly suitable for any media....It's all right there on the label....Here's the PDF of the GRO label.....use the "basic applications table"....Use the "Drain to Waste" option to determine concentrations

doug

Here is a link that might be useful: Read the Instructions

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks.

FloraGro label

FloraBloom label

FloraMicro label

The micro - I really like the info on it and see no problems with it.

The bloom really serves no purpose that isn't already covered by the other 2 that I can see. It is just more P and K and the Gro already is high in K. I prefer a 2-1-1 balance with my soil.

I use fertigation on my plants so all 3 would work well with a fertigation set up as they would be diluted well and timed applications. But used as just a root drench if you use all three then the K would be too high and the P marginally too high.

If it were me I'd skip the Bloom on the plants you listed, use the Gro diluted to 1/2 strength weekly and the Micro at full dilution per the label prior to planting and again at 6 week intervals. This assuming no other nutrient additions. I'd monitor the leaf color and maybe up the Gro if needed but the amount of K in it really bothers me unless you know for a fact that your soil is low in K

Use the Bloom on some beans or other no-nitrogen plants.

Does that help?

Dave

• Coconutisland
    9 years ago

Flora series Bloom is a very specific blend and designed for flowering plants... So, begonias or marigolds, but not veggies and fruit. While thoase plants flower, they do not need the high concentration to focus on JUST the flower...

I am actually experimenting right now with a full hydro gro using the Miracle grow tomato crystals. Couple of weeks into it and it seems to be going good, I am using it a about half strength (per recommended Ml/Gal) and only adding fresh nutrients every 7 days (weekly). The rest of the week, I keep that container filled by adding plain water...

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

I would use them for tomatoes:

4:2:1 (Gro:Micro:Bloom), and need hard water. The dilution you use depends on the drainage. Generally I would use it at 15 teaspoons combined in a full five gallon bucket and not water unless I were sure it wouldn't rain and they soil would hold it a while. So, a 5 gallon bucket would have 8:4:2 teaspoons (G:M:B). This is a very expensive fertilizer to use in this way!

Coconutisland, you will harm your plants if you are growing in a true hydroponic culture with an otherwise inert growing medium, such as a DWC and using MG as a substitution for your hydro nutes on a weight basis. If you use it in lower concentrations, the plants will have insufficient fertilizer and not thrive. MG is not a suitable hydroponic fertilizer, what it is, is a relatively economical soluble supplement used as recommended that gives excellent results.

PC

edit: noticed OP said SWCs and raised beds. The expensive comment is for raised beds. The mixture above is for the SWC on alternate waterings.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 12:49

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals