Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about Pruden's Purple

Posted by KCinNC none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:25

Hi evryone. I've visited this site for a few years but just recently joined.
I've grown tomatoes ( mostly heirlooms for several years ) and this will be the third year I have started Pruden's Purple.
Every time I have planted them, they are extremely slow to germinate or come up. All my other plants have been up for a while and they are still no shows.
I soaked some additional seeds in a damp paper towel for a couple of days and planted those two days ago, so maybe they will be up soon. I did that with success the first year I tried Pruden's, after I thought they were not going to germinate.
Is this common? My seeds are not all from the same pack but are from the same vendor two years apart.
Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about Pruden's Purple

Which vendor? It might matter.

o
RE: ? about Pruden's Purple

Prudens purple seems to germinate OK for me but assuming that you planted all seed at same depth in a similar environment- the most likely problem for poorer germination is older or mishandled seed.

Sometimes poor germination just happens and it can occur with expensive or inexpensive seed. The one thing I actually did this year with a hybrid variety after only 16% germ. was call and request more seed (seed co. omitted ). They were eager to replace seed at no cost with a different seed lot. With Prudens Purple I would just order from a second source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here