Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archerb_gw

Fish question

archerb
13 years ago

I've heard that planting a whole fish under a tomato plant is a good thing. I've been meaning to try it, but since I don't fish, I have never been able to get any at the exact time I've needed them. It may be different this year.

A friend of mine has fish frozen in freezer for a year. He goes fishing annually and is about to go again. Since he plans on coming home with more fish, he wants to get rid of these from last year. He was going to toss them in the trash (which after being in the freezer for a year, this is where they belong rather than trying to eat them!). He has heard me mention that I've wanted to try them for my tomato plants and has offered to give them to me. He has an interest in my tomatoes since he gets most of what my family can't eat.

So, I have a couple of questions. First, since these fish are probably cleaned, meaning gutted, beheaded, and possibly skinned, is there still a benefit to planting them under my tomatoes? Which part of the fish is beneficial, other than the calcium from the bones?

Thanx!

Comments (3)