Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carmello Taste

Posted by WinslowsMom none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 13:37

I am thinking of growing a Carmello this year. I grew it several years ago with great production and health but I was disappointed in the taste. But I was a newbie and may have picked too soon. What do you think about its taste ? Should I give it another go ? USDA Hardiness Zone 10b (Fountain Valley, CA)

My other picks are Brandywine (taste trumps anything, including few fruits), Mr Stripey (a friend loves this and I supply her), Sun Gold and 100s, Cherokee Purple.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Artists Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carmello Taste

Keeping in mind that taste is a very subjective and personal thing, I only tried it once several years ago and from my notes I termed it's flavor "Just ok". I know it has been discussed here in the past a few times but I don't recall any rave reviews for it. Search pulls up a couple of discussions where it was basically ignored. Even Tatiana's Tomatobase has no reviews of it.

Given there are so many other varieties available why waste the space on one you know from past experience wasn't tops?

Dave

o
RE: Carmello Taste

Read some of the links below and try to make sense if Carmello is still available as the original F1 hybrid it was when I bought seeds from Renee Shepherd many years ago

At the same time she first listed Carmello F1 she also listed Dona F1, also a French bred variety. We know now that Dona F1 seeds are only available directly from France. via Vilmorin.

And I'm wondering if the reason Tania doesn't list Carmello is b'c it still can be found as the F1 hybrid.

I was never that impressed with either of the above varieties and find that there are many more OP's( non-hybrids) that I like better.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Carmello

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here