Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Late For Tomatoes From Seed?

Posted by plantinellen 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 13:53

I am out of state on family business and haven't been able to start my in-house tomato planting the way I normally do in the latter half of March. Am I pushing it by planting tomatoes from seed April 10th-ish (when we return home)? I like having a variety of tomatoes in my garden, and you just can't find a lot of diversity in nursery-grown tomato plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Late For Tomatoes From Seed?

Zone 5 is it? I think you will be fine, Most of the seeds I plant say 4-6 weeks prior to planting out, so you should probably be right in the correct timeframe there. I am assuming you plant out in late may?

o

No problem at all IMO. You should still be able to plant out at your normal time. They just may be a bit smaller transplants but they will quickly catch up once transplanted. The worst that could happen is that you first fruit set may be a little delayed depending on the weather.

Dave

o

IMO it's not "too late" for tomatoes from seed until you get into May/June! You may end up planting out smaller plants, but that's no big deal. Better than nothing, right?

o

I have direct seeded tomatoes with success in early June in zone 7. I usually set out plants about May 1st, so any head start you can give inside should be fine.

o

I am in zone 6 and haven't started my mater seeds yet. Last year I did start in March and they got a bit bigger than I wanted before I could plant them, so I am waiting until this weekend to start. One thing I do is presprout the seeds. They germinate very quickly and you can save time by doing that. I put the seeds on a damp paper towel inside a plastic baggie. Maters sprout within a couple days or so.
Keski

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here