Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

wow talk about flavor! The Brandywines are ripening.

ticodxb
11 years ago

All I can say is wow to the flavor of the Brandywines I am growing for the first time. Even my husband mentioned how good the tomato slices in his sandwich tasted not knowing they were from my plants.

These are Brandywine Sudduth Strain. There are more ready to ripen over the next week or so and also another wave of tomatoes on the plants that will hopefully survive till they grow to size and ripen. The weather has been in the low to mid 80s here and even forecasted to be 87F on Wednesday so the plants are not getting any more flowers. Plus the leaves are getting holes in them and I found a caterpillar on one plant the other day but there have to be more that I can't find since the other plant is affected as well.

Here is my haul from yesterday :) if you can see it from the photo I am growing these on our roof.

Comments (9)

• mrcaballus
    11 years ago

Seeing as how I'm still 6 weeks from even putting my plants out, you can guess I've got a bit of a green-from-jealousy tinge right about now.

• hudson___wy
    11 years ago

Nice! not fair !! When did you plant the seeds for these tomatoes?

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrCaballus- and I will fell jealous when you are picking ripe tomatoes while I swelter in 110+ temperatures with humidity in the 80%+ range. :P

Hudson...WY- the seeds were planted in mid-October :)

A quick question.... There is one tomato that had a couple of holes in it (there were several that I discarded a while back) but because it was bigger than all the other tomatoes I left it. Plus I hoped if I left one for whatever caused this that the other tomatoes would be left alone... Here is a photo... I am assuming I should really throw this one away, right? It is huge!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

am assuming I should really throw this one away, right? It is huge!

No reason to toss it. It is called zippering and is common in large, mis-shapen fruit. It is related to issues at time of pollination. The fruit will be fine inside.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato zippering

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

And how I would have loved to see the fruits in person, not b/c I really wanted to see another Brandywine fruit, but b'c I'm a huge tennis fan and would have wanted to see the recent tennis matches in Dubai. ( smile)

Carolyn

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Ameera: I've been following your posts about trying to find the ingredients for your potting mix, and having a sick plant, and dealing with growing on a hot roof. I am so happy for you and grateful that you continue to share your experiences. Your tomatoes look great. Congratulations. I am going to grow BW Sudduth tomatoes for the first time this summer. It's great to hear of your success.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, thanks for that info on tomato zippering, I am happy it may be ok since I wouldn't want the largest tomato to have to go in the trash :)

Carolyn, hopefully one day you can watch the tennis matches over here. I used to be a big tennis fan but its been probably a good decade since I have followed tennis and I barely know the players anymore.

Ohiofem, thank you :) I hope the BW Sudduth are successful for you! I am definitely saving seeds and hope that I can succesfully grow them again next season.

Here is a iil' teaser-- I got some Iranian bread named Wagafi... it's a big round, thin bread. I made Brandywine Paninis just now :P

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Ain't life great (and delicious) when things work out right? Even when we have to worry and work extra hard to make it happen. :)

Dave

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh, I didn't have a new message notification... just saw your reply Dave, yes, life is great and I am so happy I didn't give up after the disaster that was last year!! :D

there are a few clusters of green tomatoes till but sadly they are all pretty small compared to this first flush of tomatoes I got. But so long as they still have that flavor I wil be happy till their end! :D