Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super Boy hybrid 785

Posted by billinsc 7B SC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 14:17

I need some info on this hybrid. I can't find much on it except that it is supposedly disease tolerant to VFFNASt.
Anyone here grow this hybrid?

Bill in SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super Boy hybrid 785

Never grew, but it is just a medium 6-8 ounce round red hybrid. VFFNASt. It is not that unusual in modern hybrids. We don't have all of them in this area, But i do need TSWV most years, other wise Fusarium and nematodes are the major problems. Verticillium, Alternaria, Stemphylium I have not encountered in this area.

o

Billinsc, I grow Super Boys every year. I've never had a problem. In the picture below the Super Boys are the ones on the left Big Boys middle and Better Boys right. The pictures were taken in late June. The Super Boy, No joke grew to about 8 feet. Biggest tomato plant I've ever grown.
Super Boy
Super boy

o

"Biggest tomato plant I've ever grown."

And I just bought a pack of Super Boy 785 seeds (Ferry-Morse) that labels them as determinate!

o

mrainey,

Make sure if you stake them to use two because these plants are huge. They're not just tall for a determinate they're very full and don't do well in thunder storms high winds. I also pile grass clippings around the base every time cut the grass.

Good luck

o

Is there any improvement in size, texture, flavor, or production of Super Boy over Better Boy or just increased disease resistance?
Thanks.
Rick

o

rwk nova,

Size, I would say they are about the same as a Better Boy. Texture, in my experience is the Better Boy was softer and faster to split and rot which brings in bugs. The Super Boys were firm kind of like a Roma but same size as a Better Boy.

Im not saying Super Boys are the best but for someone that cant make it into the garden everyday it helps when they dont fall off and rot, which we all know brings in bugs and ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here