Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NAR or Chapman

Posted by bigpinks 6SEOhio (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 14:48

Actually I will grow both this yr for the first time probably 4 plants of each side by side. How are they similar and how are they diff? Which one did you have the most success with? I am gardening in a side yd plot not containers. I have six ft wooden stakes and will end up with approx 50 plants of 20 varieties planted 3ft apart. Do these tomatoes taste like Better Boy? I became fascinated with large pink tomatoes many yrs ago and am just now trying the reds, blacks etc. I have raised bi-color beefsteaks each yr and just tried C Purple last season. I am eager to get started sowing seeds and wondered if the heat mats really help with germination? And dont forget...NAR or Chapman?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NAR or Chapman

I can't speak for Chapman, I haven't tried it just yet, but NAR is a great performer. Very large red beefsteaks (1-2 pounds on average) that have almost never crack, are fairly uniform, and just so happen to taste great. It's also a great producer, and seems to love heat. It kept producing in the 90s-100s whereas others stagnated or declined until it got cooler.

A warning from my experience, these plants get huge. I've never measured at the end of the season, but I would assume they end up at 9-10 ft. tall (long?). They outgrow their 6ft. x 2ft. cages and begin growing back down the side and across the row.

One other note, I don't know if it's an issue my specific seed source or just the nature of the variety, but the seeds are very slow / inconsistent sprouting. All of my seeds (10 different varieties) this year sprouted after about 5 days, NAR took almost 12 days.

o

NAR, which I introduced, and Chapman are both outstanding red beefsteak varieties. No they don't taste the same I can't really describe the difference in taste but both perform well and load up well for almost everyone.

And no, they don't taste like Better Boy F1 or it's companion Big Boy F1, since both have one parent that it is an heirloom variety from the midwest called Teddy Jones.

Two other great performing large red beefsteaks that I like a lot are Red Penna and Aker's West VA, again, they perform well for almost everyone everywhere.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

o

Grown both and if those are the only choices then I vote for NAR.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here