Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhyno_gw

which seedlings potting mix to use

jrhyno
16 years ago

I use the Burpee seed starting mix to start all my seeds (works great for me!). I'm wondering which mix I should use when I pot up my plants? My local private garden store went out of business, i had been using their standard potting soil.

So, what's everyone using out there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

I used the last of my bale of ProMix BX up already this year and can't get more for a month or so so I have been using Walmart's Expert Gardener brand (comes with 4 mos. slow-release fertilizer in it). So far it appears to be working very well - no noticeable difference between the plants in it vs. the ProMix.

Others here have posted recently that they have also had good luck with the MG Potting Mix with moisture control added to it. I think as long as you stay with a good quality soil-less mix with or without added fertilizer, you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS: also, if you do a search here using "potting mix" you'll find many other discussions to review is you want. Some have recipes for making your own mix in them.

• bkyleh
    16 years ago

promix is my favorite. i like that it doesn't contain any fertilizers of any kind - that lets me decide what and when and how much.

• cdgtxs
    16 years ago

I use MG with Moisture control and it does well.However , it is about the only choice I have in the small town where I live so I can't compare to anything.
    CDGTXS

• jrhyno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys, I would have done the search for potting mix, but due to a brain malfunction, I had typed in seedlings mix...Doh!!

I'll try to find some promix around here, but good to hear that MG appears to work well.

Jeff

• piantini
    16 years ago

This year i used Miracle Grow Organic Compost. Is working great!.

I have read here many times about using Promix but i cannot find it anywhere. I haven't look in nurseries since their prices sometimes is a little over sight. Miracle Grow Organic Compost i found in Home Depot cheap.

• jurassicdaryl
    16 years ago

Try the nurseries. I try to make sure I have an extra bag on hand the previous year as many nurseries are seasonal...I use Metromix 360. It comes in a large bag and is plenty big enough for my starters. I have seen it from $12-$16/bag depending on the nursery. Well worth the piece of mind...

• timmy1
    16 years ago

Digdirt,

Too bad you were not closer, I have over half a semi load of fresh "BX" mix here now. I have 3.8 bales and 2.8 loose fill. With a production date of 1/11/08.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Shoot, Tim! Wanna ship me a couple bales - cheap? ;)

Naw, on second thought even with the price of gas it's likely cheaper to drive up to Springfield, MO and haul it home in the truck than shipping from RI. BWI used to deliver down here once a month but I didn't get the order in in time last month.

It's great stuff!!

Dave

• timmy1
    16 years ago

Digdirt,

I'm actually using Pro Mix PGX for germinating and seedlings. It's much more fine and suitable for plug trays.

I then transplant into "BX" with mycorise.

Tim

• danincv
    16 years ago

I've had really good luck with Kellogg "Patio Plus" when potting up my seedlings. I tried some stuff called "Super Soil (it's niether) one year and almost killed off my whole batch.

• jzaleski
    16 years ago

I've been using the Germinating Mix from Gardeners Supply for fifteen years and have never been disappointed.