Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
octogenarian_gw

Osmocote fertilizer. When and how much?

Octogenarian
15 years ago

At what stage of growth should Osmocote 14-14-14 be applied to my tomato plants? I use Miracle Grow at planting time and two weeks later to supply available nutrients to the soil What is the rate of application per plant and where to apply it? It is my understanding that it will not burn the roots.
I plant 3' apart and 4' between rows, using Early Girl and Celebrity.

Comments (21)

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

Osmocote is a slow release fertilizer. I don't know anyone who uses it it on a vegetable garden. It isn't cheap. It is used mainly in potted flowers like begonias and geraniums. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon full on top of the soil. The pellets remain as the fertilizer is leached out when watering

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

I use Miracle Grow at planting time and two weeks later to supply available nutrients to the soil.

So can I ask why the Osmocote would even be needed?

Osmocote is a timed-release fert usually mixed, per the application instructions on the container, into the planting hole or container mix.

That's alot of fertilizer used along with MG!! Especially nitrogen. ;) JMO but I would expect blooming and fruiting problems, blossom drop, even BER if I used all that in my soil. Is your soil especially nutrient deficient? Had it tested?

Dave

• Octogenarian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Osmocote is approved for vegetables, lawns, flowers, trees and pots. How much to use so it doesn't raise havoc. A shovelfull? a thimblefull? The correct amount would tend to strengthen the plant against BER. I use calcium foliage spray, never had BER. I believe I had my soil tested sometime in the past 56 years of gardening and selling. I was actually looking for facts and figures from an experienced user. Thanks anyway, Doug

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

I was actually looking for facts and figures from an experienced user.

If you mean a user of Osmocote on tomato plants then I'm sorry we couldn't help you. Apparently no one here uses it. And honestly, I have never heard anyone mention using it on tomato plants before, here or at any of the other tomato growing forums.

We do however frequently discuss BER, its causes and the many varied things that folks claim prevent/cure it.

Dave

• LandArc
    15 years ago

I have used Osmocote in the past, I may use it again, hard to say. In general, I would use it at planting and use the MiracleGro once the season gets going, if I was going to go down that road. Like Justaguy said, Osmocote works from within the soil, so it should be incorporated into your backfill. And I would suggest into the top 6 to 8 inches as that is the soil that will get warmed. If you choose to use MiracleGro after that, you might choose to foliar feed or drench, although I would tend to think it would be unnecessary, although you know your soil best.

• timmy1
    15 years ago

The type 100 is approx a 100 day release.

The type 140 is a 140 day release.

Etc.

• scarzi
    15 years ago

Ten years ago I was growing tomatoes with Chuck Wyatt and Osmocote is all he ever used. I seem to remember about a 1/2 a cup full went in the hole with several shovel fulls of peat. It seemed to work great.

• laccanvas
    11 years ago

Osmocote really works. For tomatoes...I wouldn't overdo it...put a little bit in the potting hole..maybe 10 dots per plant..then watch how they grow...then depending on your variety, top dress later in the season. Gauge how much you use based on your soil fertility. Also, don't over do it due to salts and leaching etc. I am an organic grower, but one season I used osmocote 10-10-10 on my strawberry beds when their leaves were 2.5 inches across. The next spring my strawberry leaves were 8 inches across very large leaves. Tons of fruit. Then we got a hail storm....smash. its been 2 years with organic fertilizers..going on 3 years...I have 1/4 of strawberry plants I started out with. Horrible fruiting and small plants. Going to try osmocote again to help jump start them.

• GEEATT
    9 years ago

How often should I use K44 on Roses after pruning?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Osmocote (14-14-14) is just an old "all purpose" slow release fertilizer . It has nothing special for tomatoes AND it is outrageously expensive for just being Slow Release. There are much cheaper and better alternatives for tomatoes. There had been an "Osmocote Plus" with different analysis for tomatoes and peppers but it is not readily available anymore.

Slow Release, if it really is/works as claimed, then it is a better choice in containers where they are watered more often than in ground beds.

BTW: Osmocote is made by Scott company, who owns Miracle Gro. But some of MG brands are much better than Osmocote ( economically and by ingredients).

• mike24426
    8 years ago

When you plant put 1 Tbl. In hole with plants it's good for 2 months

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi , Mike

I use MG Shake N feed for tomatoes at about the same rate. This one also has Calcium and Magnesium.

I also use a variety of water soluble fertilizers like MG 24-8-16. Then I also supplement with Alaska Morebloom ( 0-10-10) later in the season when less Nitrogen is needed.

Sey

• mike24426
    8 years ago

Sounds good what would you use on strawberry plants I ordered 50 seascape haven't received them yet but was trying to figure out what to use as fertilizer

• besslane
    7 years ago

Hey!!! Osmocote is great on tomatoes. I planted and used immediately with no other fertilizer. Just a mix of peat moss and topsoil and garden soil. My plants doubled in size and were producing like crazy within two weeks. Just sprinkle a light circle about 10 inches from the roots all the way around. Reapply after about 4 weeks. It's like cooking. When you do it with love, you end up putting the right amount. Water like crazy the first day, and make sure you water everyday. I live it wet ol' southern Louisiana and I still have to water everyday. No need to mix into soil if you are watering properly. And don't add any miracle grow. One or the other. Not both. Good luck!!!

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

A vantage thread.

I am surprised as how expensive Osmocote 14-14-14 is. I 'll never buy it at those prices. I buy 16-16-16 under a buck per pound. .

Granulars have to be mixed/sprinkled when preparing the garden. Or you can top dress with it but it has to be done earlier before the plants grow surface roots. You wouldn't want to disturb them or burn them.

For in/during the season I use water solubles or liquid ferts only.

Sey

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

I was able to get 150 lb. Of Osmocote fairly low priced at a nursery auction and used it for tunnel grown tomatoes among other potted plants. I worked it into the preplant soil and the following year I could still see intact pellets. Someone related that those pellets probably had fertilizer leaches out. I just don't know.

I would say it is compatible in price to many organic fertilizers for extended nutrient availability when you compare nutrient content. I would expect that future fertilizers with incorporate this technology for all types of crops. The research results I have seen for potted flowers is overwhelmingly in favor of using it. Even water soluble Miracle Grow just did not get the desired response.

• debbiesviolets
    3 years ago

Can you burn the roots of plants by using way a great deal of osmocote to the point it looks packed around the roots? Have gotten plants from a grower who does this and the plants arrive with black roots and almost all end up dieing within a couple weeks. There is also no tap root on the Hibiscus just the small black roots. Have lost a couple hundred dollars and the grower refuses to replace plants or credit. Many other people having the same issue with them. Thank You!

• HU-757242670
    2 years ago

I have several containers (8", 10" and 12") and all I want to know is how much Osmocote to put in each container...the Osmo jar says 1 capful (3 T) per 4 sq. ft....which tells me nothing about container gardening. I thought this Os would be so much easier than measuring and mixing the water soluble Miracle Gro....but it's not helpful unless I know how much to use!!!! I just saw an online address as well as a customer service phone number for the product. Will try that tomorrow since today is Sunday.

• Alexandra Meunier
    2 years ago

• debbiesviolets
    2 years ago

Am I correct in thinking using too much of the fertilizer in a container could actually burn the roots and kill the plants? TY