Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lubadub

Bacillus subtilis

lubadub
14 years ago

There is a product made by the Bayer company and sold as Natria. The active ingredient is a bacteria called Bacillus subtilis. It is supposed to "control or suppress" fungal infections and can be used in vegetable gardens. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with Natria and, if so, what do you think? The salesman at Lowe's, who used to run a greenhouse, says he has used it for 5 years and finds it to be very effective. He believes it prevented late blight in his garden last year. It is an organic way to prevent some of the fungal diseases we experience in our tomato gardens. What say you? There is nothing about this agent in the Disease Forum.

Marv

Comments (9)

• californian
    14 years ago

I believe that is the same stuff used in Pro-Mix BX with Biofungicide. I have had no damping off on the seedlings I started using it even though it was so damp in the container that water was condensing on the lid, but maybe I wouldn't have had it anyway. But I also used Pro-Mix PGX that didn't have the biofungicide in it and I did see little tufts of some white fuzz on the soil surface that might have been fungus. In their advertising they claim once the roots are inoculated with this bacteria it will protect the plant even after it is transplanted into the garden soil. I don't know if it is hype or not but I am mixing some of this Pro-Mix BX with Biofungicide into the potting soil for every transplant I am growing in hopes it really does protect against all the pathogens listed on the website.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    14 years ago

I'm in agreement with Californian. I've only used the ProMix w/ biofungicide for the last few years because of those claims. Plants were also shown to produce slightly better due to the bacteria colonizing the roots. But I'd draw the line there. I've seen no evidence that it will have any affect on Late Blight or any foliar disease.

• miesenbacher
    14 years ago

Check out the site below especially at the bottom of the listing for Biostart products Defensor and Rhizoboost plus the Microbe Nutrients. Can be used for foliar or root zone applications. They also carry Actino-Iron that is Actinovate plus chelated iron for soil application. A good foliar for blights and other airborne diseases is EXEL LG which is also marketed as Agri-Fos and it is bio-friendly as well. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Inoculants

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I have not used the Bayer product but have seen sombody using it. If infact it is a bio-anti fungus, it should be
    safe aroung the garden. Also, it would be phenomenal if it can
    fight BLIGHT fungi. It is worth lookinginto it.

• korney19
    14 years ago

Hi Marv!!! Hi Ted!!!

• miesenbacher
    14 years ago

Whats up Mark. How's the family? Ami

• korney19
    14 years ago

E-mail on the way Ted!

• mtbigfish
    14 years ago

Actually there are quite a few strains of bacillus subtillus and the Bayer product uses QST 713 strain of dried bacillus subtilis which is the same as used in Serenade. Though it is used for fungacide it is not for the fungus associated with damping off.
    The Pro-Mix BX or Pro-Mix PGX versions with biofungacide contain the bacillus subtillus strain MB1600 which does control damping off. (Subtilex I believe is the brand name of mb1600)

You need to know which organism you are after and then which of the biofungacides target it. There are also some that target or have some effectiveness against fusarium but I have not really looked into it that much. I think Actinivate is one that targets fusarium ... Right Ted??

Dennis

• butchfomby
    9 years ago

REAL GOOD AERATED COMPOST TEA PROBABLY HAS BACILLUS SUBTILLUS IN IT....I KNOW APPLIED SPRAYING EITHER SLOWS DOWN EARLY BLIGHT OR KNOCKS IT OUT...I WOULD ALSO APPLY AS DRENCH...GOING TO TRY ALSO BURYING A FEW VEGETABLES CLOSE TO ROOTS AS ROTTING VEGETABLES ALSO PRODUCE BACILLUS SUBTILLUS....MAY EVEN PULL SOME GRASS, ROOTS AND ALL AND BURY TOO....BACILLUS SUBTILLUS IS KNOW AS HAY OR GRASS BACILLUS...WE'LL SEE....THE INDIAN