Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bacillus subtilis

Posted by lubadub 5B PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 15:27

There is a product made by the Bayer company and sold as Natria. The active ingredient is a bacteria called Bacillus subtilis. It is supposed to "control or suppress" fungal infections and can be used in vegetable gardens. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with Natria and, if so, what do you think? The salesman at Lowe's, who used to run a greenhouse, says he has used it for 5 years and finds it to be very effective. He believes it prevented late blight in his garden last year. It is an organic way to prevent some of the fungal diseases we experience in our tomato gardens. What say you? There is nothing about this agent in the Disease Forum.

Marv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bacillus subtilis

I believe that is the same stuff used in Pro-Mix BX with Biofungicide. I have had no damping off on the seedlings I started using it even though it was so damp in the container that water was condensing on the lid, but maybe I wouldn't have had it anyway. But I also used Pro-Mix PGX that didn't have the biofungicide in it and I did see little tufts of some white fuzz on the soil surface that might have been fungus. In their advertising they claim once the roots are inoculated with this bacteria it will protect the plant even after it is transplanted into the garden soil. I don't know if it is hype or not but I am mixing some of this Pro-Mix BX with Biofungicide into the potting soil for every transplant I am growing in hopes it really does protect against all the pathogens listed on the website.

o

I'm in agreement with Californian. I've only used the ProMix w/ biofungicide for the last few years because of those claims. Plants were also shown to produce slightly better due to the bacteria colonizing the roots. But I'd draw the line there. I've seen no evidence that it will have any affect on Late Blight or any foliar disease.

o

Check out the site below especially at the bottom of the listing for Biostart products Defensor and Rhizoboost plus the Microbe Nutrients. Can be used for foliar or root zone applications. They also carry Actino-Iron that is Actinovate plus chelated iron for soil application. A good foliar for blights and other airborne diseases is EXEL LG which is also marketed as Agri-Fos and it is bio-friendly as well. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Inoculants

o

I have not used the Bayer product but have seen sombody using it. If infact it is a bio-anti fungus, it should be
safe aroung the garden. Also, it would be phenomenal if it can
fight BLIGHT fungi. It is worth lookinginto it.

o

Hi Marv!!! Hi Ted!!!

o

Whats up Mark. How's the family? Ami

o

E-mail on the way Ted!

o

Actually there are quite a few strains of bacillus subtillus and the Bayer product uses QST 713 strain of dried bacillus subtilis which is the same as used in Serenade. Though it is used for fungacide it is not for the fungus associated with damping off.
The Pro-Mix BX or Pro-Mix PGX versions with biofungacide contain the bacillus subtillus strain MB1600 which does control damping off. (Subtilex I believe is the brand name of mb1600)

You need to know which organism you are after and then which of the biofungacides target it. There are also some that target or have some effectiveness against fusarium but I have not really looked into it that much. I think Actinivate is one that targets fusarium ... Right Ted??

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here