Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timmy1_gw

Rebelski aka DRW 7749

timmy1
12 years ago

Anyone tried? Supposed to be a french greenhouse type.

I'm trying 15 plants this year.

Comments (15)

• tylenol
    12 years ago

I've never grown it...but I did see them at Johnny's Seeds
    for $18.50 a packet (15 seeds). That's alot for an F1.

Hope they work out Great for ya !

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know my buddy Bmoser must be trying some...

17 seeds came in my 15ct pack, and all 17 came up! First time I've got over 100% germination. My 78 degree 24hr/day germination cabinet is really paying off.

-T

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

well you can't get over 100%

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    12 years ago

You have me pegged Timmy. I went all-out and gambled on this variety, planting 40 Rebelski plants, and I still have not discerned what the fruit size is going to be. I was hoping some internet searches could help but all lead back to Johnnys. Best wishes on this and please keep me informed of what you hear, good or bad.

I will say that the plants have looked great so far. Seed price may be on the high side but if these plants produce an exceptional crop I'll be planting them again.

I am curious about the germination cabinet you mentioned but I had not had need for something like that so far. I have a basement room where my coal stoker resides that typically holds at 80-85F. Right now I let the fires go out while we are having this heat wave. I've moved everything to the greehhouses, even new seedings. Time will tell what this season is going to produce.

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mr. Moser, sir.

I keep wanting to call you Bill...Bubble wrap Bill. But I'm terrible w/ names and I know you told me on the phone.

The germination cabinet is simply an upright freezer w/ a line voltage heat only t-stat...W/ 2 light bulbs on a "Y" socket. Set it at 78 degrees and forget it. It's in an unheated greenhouse now. All tomatoes germinate in 72 hours or less...Peppers are 4-5 days tops.

i always think of you when I make my last trip of the night to the wood stoves at 10:30-11:00 how you keep them going all night.

-T

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ASDA waardeert authentieke vorm Rebelski

Dat veel telers bijzonder gecharmeerd zijn van de nieuwe vleestomaat Rebelski van Monsanto Vegetable Seeds is duidelijk. Maar LivingNews � en u vast en zeker met ons � is ook zeer ge�nteresseerd in de ervaringen van mensen in de handel en export. Daarom praat Nico van Vliet met Bas Tramper, Technical Team Leader Benelux van International Produce Ltd. Bas Tramper is binnen Benelux verantwoordelijk voor de sourcing van vers product richting ASDA UK.

Bas vertelt over zijn keuze voor Rebelski: �Tijdens bezoeken aan het Tomato Experience Center vorig seizoen ben ik gecharmeerd geraakt van de authentieke geribde vorm en de diepliggende kroon van Rebelski. Na interne proeven hebben wij besloten om dit seizoen zoveel mogelijk Rebelski aan te kopen bij onze partners in Benelux."

Bas is zeer tevreden met die keuze. Hij vertelt: �Rebelski blinkt uit in zijn geribde vorm. Wij kunnen dit ras ook met kroontje erop presenteren in het winkelschap van ASDA. In het verleden moesten we het product altijd �crownless� aanbieden, omdat het voorgaande standaardras gevoelig was voor prikschade. Dit verhoogt ook zeker de aantrekkelijkheid van het gehele segment vleestomaat. Rebelski heeft een IR-resistentie tegen echte meeldauw. Dat communiceren we weliswaar niet richting de consument, maar het is wel een extra argument richting ASDA, waardoor zij voor
    dit ras te kiezen.�

Maatregelen

�In de eerste twee trossen bleek de vorm ietwat te geribd te zijn,� vertelt Bas. �Ik heb inmiddels begrepen dat onafhankelijke proeven hebben aangetoond, dat dit voor een belangrijk deel is te ondervangen door een latere plantdatum en ��n op ��n enten. Het feit dat dit mogelijk is en ook wordt geadviseerd, verheugt ons zeer, want we zijn zeer gecharmeerd van dit ras!�

Over zijn afnemer ASDA vertelt Bas: �ASDA is qua formule te vergelijken met C1000 en qua expansie met Jumbo. Momenteel zijn er 350 ASDA supermarkten, echter in een half (!) jaar tijd worden 150 Netto supermarkten omgebouwd naar ASDA. ASDA heeft deze keten enige tijd geleden overgenomen. Binnen ASDA zijn verschillende rassen van De Ruiter Seeds vertegenwoordigd, waaronder Rebelski, Prunus, Elegance, Juanita en Conchita.�

Bron: Livingnews, Monsanto

Publicatiedatum: 27-9-2011

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Using my handy dandy translation software....

Here it is in english from Dutch...

ASDA appreciates authentic form Rebelski

That many producers is particularly enamored of the new tomato Rebelski Monsanto Vegetable Seeds is clear. But Living News - and you certainly with us - is also very interested in the experiences of people in the trade and export. Therefore, Nico van Vliet talks with Bass Tramper, Technical Team Leader Benelux International Produce Ltd.. Bass Tramper within Benelux responsible for the sourcing of fresh direction ASDA United Kingdom.

Bas talks about his choice for Rebelski: "During visits to the Tomato Experience Center last season, I am charmed by the authentic ribbed shape and deep crown Rebelski. After internal testing we have decided to Rebelski this season as much as possible to buy with our partners in Benelux. "

Bass is very satisfied with our choice. He says: 'Rebelski excels in its corrugated shape. We can also breed with pointed crown present in the shelves of ASDA. In the past, we always keep the "crown-less offer because the previous standard variety was susceptible to puncture damage. This certainly increases the attractiveness of the entire segment of tomato. Rebelski has an IR resistance to powdery mildew. That although we do not communicate with consumers, but it is an additional argument towards ASDA, implying
    this breed to choose. "

Measures

"In the first two clusters, the shape slightly ribbed to be," says Bass. "I have now been understood that independent tests have shown that this is to a large extent can be compensated by a subsequent planting date and one at a grafting. The fact that this is possible and is recommended, very pleased, because we are very fond of this race! "

ASDA Bass tells about his customer: "ASDA is their formula similar to C1000 and expansion terms with Jumbo. Currently there are 350 ASDA supermarkets, however, in a half (!) Years will receive 150 Net supermarkets converted to ASDA. This chain ASDA has taken some time ago. Within ASDA Several of De Ruiter Seeds breeds represented, including Rebelski, Prunus, Elegance, Juanita and Conchita. "

Source: Living News, Monsanto

Publication date: 27/09/2011

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Using my handy dandy translation software....

Here it is in english from Dutch...

ASDA appreciates authentic form Rebelski

That many producers is particularly enamored of the new tomato Rebelski Monsanto Vegetable Seeds is clear. But Living News - and you certainly with us - is also very interested in the experiences of people in the trade and export. Therefore, Nico van Vliet talks with Bass Tramper, Technical Team Leader Benelux International Produce Ltd.. Bass Tramper within Benelux responsible for the sourcing of fresh direction ASDA United Kingdom.

Bas talks about his choice for Rebelski: "During visits to the Tomato Experience Center last season, I am charmed by the authentic ribbed shape and deep crown Rebelski. After internal testing we have decided to Rebelski this season as much as possible to buy with our partners in Benelux. "

Bass is very satisfied with our choice. He says: 'Rebelski excels in its corrugated shape. We can also breed with pointed crown present in the shelves of ASDA. In the past, we always keep the "crown-less offer because the previous standard variety was susceptible to puncture damage. This certainly increases the attractiveness of the entire segment of tomato. Rebelski has an IR resistance to powdery mildew. That although we do not communicate with consumers, but it is an additional argument towards ASDA, implying
    this breed to choose. "

Measures

"In the first two clusters, the shape slightly ribbed to be," says Bass. "I have now been understood that independent tests have shown that this is to a large extent can be compensated by a subsequent planting date and one at a grafting. The fact that this is possible and is recommended, very pleased, because we are very fond of this race! "

ASDA Bass tells about his customer: "ASDA is their formula similar to C1000 and expansion terms with Jumbo. Currently there are 350 ASDA supermarkets, however, in a half (!) Years will receive 150 Net supermarkets converted to ASDA. This chain ASDA has taken some time ago. Within ASDA Several of De Ruiter Seeds breeds represented, including Rebelski, Prunus, Elegance, Juanita and Conchita. "

Source: Living News, Monsanto

Publication date: 27/09/2011

12 years ago

Interesting descriptions! This is the first that I've heard of a tomato shape described as "Corregated". There is a hint given that the ribbed shape may not cointinue throughout the season. De Ruiter has been a source of a number of good varieties- I believe Trust is one that I grow that I've heard is the most popular GH tomato grown in Canada. They start the season well for me and then slow down in production more than some others. Until Rebelski was listed in Johnnys catelog I thought Trust had the record for tomato seed price.

I'll accept "Bubble Wrap Bill". I like the stuff and the term has a ring to it. My wife calls me Barry.

This heat wave has me sleeping through the night. In reality I wish that the 11:30p trip to the GHs would be adequate. For the small "Bubble Wrapped" structure that would be adequate but I've determined that when night temps return to the low 20s the only way to keep plants moving in larger structures is to set a timer for 2.5 hrs. and make it a routine. I only wish that this all black skunk with a white tip to his tail would find another stomping ground.

• timmy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Set a havahart trap w/ cat food. Once you get him, walk up to the trap slowly holding an 8x10 tarp out in front of you. Slowly drape the tarp over the trap. Then pick the trap up feeling for the handle. Remember nice slow calm movements is key. Not too early in the morning either. They are nocturnal and naturally want to sleep the day away.

Gently wrap the tarp under the trap and slide him into the back of a pickup. Drive him out in the middle of nowhere, and just reverse the procedure to release it.

I've done it many times...I'd say 1 out of 5 will spray but it usually when you start to lift off the ground. Wrapped in the tarp you are good as long as it doesn't drip on your shoes. Wear rubber boots.

Good luck

-T

11 years ago

Just wanted to followup and mention more of this variety from my experience. I picked about 25 fruits so far and have eaten a few. Plants are vigorous growers with growth habit similar to Trust. Fruits are "Cinderella pumpkin perfect" in shape and fruit set is very good. Fruits are very uniform in size- about 7-8 ounces each. Taste is good but not outstanding. Will definately keep growing this variety.

• timmy1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Bill... Mine are doing impressive as well. Just like you mentioned (size and shape). One thing I am noticing is the color, they are a dull red, not shinny red. Are you noticing that?

I'd say the taste is an 8.5 on the scale.

As far as fruit set and yield, They definitely are consistent w/ even cluster development. Almost every cluster has between 5-7 fruits. The Big Beef planted adjacent to the rebelski has between 4-12 fruits per cluster.

So far, So good. Lets see how they produce this fall.

-T

• timmy1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They stayed consistent throughout the fall...They did taper off some, the size was impressive in the fall adjacent to other varieties.

The taste again was a slight drawback, as well as the dull finish. Were they worth $1 per seed? Yes, I suppose.

I think i'd use them again as a late greenhouse planting.

11 years ago

Agreed on all points but it might be a bit unfair to compare to Big Beef which I (also?) had growing next to. I'll go so far as to mention that in late fall i had 3 of my support stringlines fail, all were Rebelski plants heavy with developing fruits. It probably is just coincidence.

• tpage760
    10 years ago

Planted 250..100% germination. Transplanted to hoop house 3/1 plants are 7 foot and loaded. Tested last season and was impressed with production and flavor though not as good as early girls but sold better on the stand because of looks.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!