Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birds eating leaves?

Posted by suzie29 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 15:34

I dont think they are eating them but they are ripping off all the leaves. I have never heard of birds eating leaves & I wouldn't have believed it but I caught them in the act.

I first noticed the damage on newly planted 3 day old tomatoes, just ripped to shreds. Looked for bugs never found any at all times of dusk/night/dawn. The next afternoon there was little to no leafs left, thats when I saw them sitting on the cage ripping off the leaves.

That was 2 weeks ago, since then I covered them with netting & they are trying to put out new leaves. I uncovered 1 plant yesterday for 2 hours & now its just a stick.

These birds have been here for years, why are they bothering my tomatoes now? What are these birds?

ty
suz

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birds eating leaves?

I had smaller finch like birds ripping my leaves apart and it turns out that they were trying to peck at bugs and the leaves were collateral damage.

o

I also had little birds rip up the leaves of sunflowers. I wouldn't have believed it either except that I caught them in the act. They were sitting on the stalks and ripping into them until the leaves looked like lace. I really don't know why they were doing that because I don't think there were any bugs on the sunflowers. They almost seemed to be eating them -- I know geese eat grass, but I'm don't know about other birds.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but at least we are all puzzled together!

o

My mom has found birds pulling up marigold seedlings. She was blaming neighborhood kids until she saw it. I wonder if it's part of the nesting/brooding process, since they don't seem to bother the plants later in the season. She replanted a couple of weeks later and they left them alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here